Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rugged Ridge - Air Box Clamps

Old 08-18-2012, 04:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rugged Ridge - Air Box Clamps

RR,

I'm very happy with the XHD snorkel kit overall; however, I'm concerned with the security of the 2 air box clamps (closest to the fender). They latch and unlatch without any effort, and don't provide any tension to keep them closed.

The 2 closest to the engine are perfectly fine and snap closed and require adequate effort to release them like the factory setup.

Is there any fix for the current air box clamp setup?

Thanks,
John
Old 08-18-2012, 07:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any wear on the stock box piece? May need a new top piece.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:39 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ZMagic97
Is there any wear on the stock box piece? May need a new top piece.
Nope, the stock box is in perfect condition as are the clamps that I transfered over to the RR lower box.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:01 PM
JK Freak

bump......
Old 08-22-2012, 05:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Checked mine today while fueling up (I always do an under-hood check when I get fuel) and two of mine, closest to the passenger fender, seemed to pop off easy. However, I drove through a lot of mud and water today, and over some rough terrain since my last fuel-up, and they did not pop off or seem to have any issues. Seems solid to me. Could it be better? Probably. Do I feel safe using it? Yes.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:12 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ZMagic97
Checked mine today while fueling up (I always do an under-hood check when I get fuel) and two of mine, closest to the passenger fender, seemed to pop off easy. However, I drove through a lot of mud and water today, and over some rough terrain since my last fuel-up, and they did not pop off or seem to have any issues. Seems solid to me. Could it be better? Probably. Do I feel safe using it? Yes.
Thanks Z,

Sounds like the way mine is. Hopefully, the clips will hold and nothing will get past, but it needs to be addressed by RR in their redesign.

John
Old 08-27-2012, 02:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just installed mine last night, and I had the same issue at first. I noticed that my top section was not matched up perfectly, and after a little elbow grease, it managed to match up perfect and clamp correctly.

If that is not the issue, you may try to take out the air filter and put a little RTV on the edge of the filter, let it dry and reinstall it. that may give you enough surface area to seal.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:44 PM
JK Freak

Bump for RR....

Quick Reply: Rugged Ridge - Air Box Clamps