Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rugged Ridge Snorkel Problems...

Old 01-13-2013, 01:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rugged Ridge Snorkel Problems...

So a while ago I bought me a rugged ridge snorkel. I liked the looks of it and it was a very good priced snorkel rivaling most others out there. It also didn't involve cutting of the hood. So after looking around and not hearing any problems with it I pulled the trigger and ordered it. Installed it with no problem and everything was great.

Well come a couple weeks ago I went offroading and the engine hydro locked. I couldn't believe it had hydro locked due to having a snorkel. Luckily I didn't cause any internal damage to the engine and was able to fix the hydro lock for comparatively cheap (between $200 and $300 compared to $3500 for a new engine). After further investigation into the cause of the problem I noticed the air filter was soaking wet. I was amazed that it got that wet and was trying to think how it could have gotten into the snorkel. But after removing the filter I noticed where the 90 degree rubber elbow hose comes into the bottom of the custom lower airbox that comes with the rugged ridge snorkel was a huge gap where the airbox and hose had seperated by a good amount and when I crossed very little water it was enough to suck it into the engine. I wasn't sure what caused this but it seemed to be a big problem. I tried to think why it would have seperated. The hose is secured onto the airbox with a 3" hose clamp and lots of RVT sealent.

So yesterday I decided to try to work on it and fix the problem. I tried attaching it back with RVT and the clamp and it would go on and when I would walk away and come back it would have come back off. So I removed the elbow and airbox and tried connecting them outside of the vehicle to see what the problem is. I put the RVT and clamp on there and the hose would slide right off the airbox. With the tension of the clamp it would slide off the airbox. So I decided to try to put on the RVT, let it dry, then put on the clamp. I let it dry for a few hours to be sure it was good and dry then tried installing the clamp and lo and behold it comes off again.

This is a major failure in the system that cost me a lot of money and nearly cost me a new engine. I am not sure if anyone else is having these problems but there were a few other areas of the snorkel that can be seen that could have failures and do to the location of it could cause lots of problems. Due to where the snorkel routes, (Under the passenger fender, under the body, attaches part to the frame, then up to the bottom of the airbox), if it fails those areas are commonly underwater and will turn your snorkel into a straw. I have now reinstalled the factory airbox and am very displeased with this snorkel. I do not know if it is a fail in design, I got a bad one, or if my jeep hates this snorkel but I highly recommend not buying this snorkel. It has to many areas that can fail where you can't see them or notice them until it's to late.

Also, I understand that there are people out there with this snorkel that haven't had this problem but I am expressing my opinion and my experience that should be taken as a recommendation to look maybe at other snorkels because this one has some issues that could be catastrophic.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

That sucks. Was looking into getting this snorkel.
Can you post pictures of the air box and the issue at hand.

Also, have you contacted RR?
Old 01-13-2013, 01:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by helnbk
That sucks. Was looking into getting this snorkel.
Can you post pictures of the air box and the issue at hand.

Also, have you contacted RR?
I'll try to get pictures of it first chance I get. No I haven't contacted them yet I just got on here I figured I send them and email tomorrow morning. I have a few of their other products and I like the company that is why I'm not sure if it is just I got a bad one or if its a design flaw. I'll get some pictures and put them up here ASAP.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I want it any idea who makes it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1692332242.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	409088  
Old 01-13-2013, 01:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKJeepJunkie
Never seen it before. Maybe custom. Skull is a nice touch though. Maybe volant. I've never seen one in person
Old 01-13-2013, 01:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKJeepJunkie
Some dude is his backyard
Old 01-13-2013, 01:48 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm interested in the outcome of this. I'm not doubting you OP but the whole thing seems strange. I have to think that if this was typical, others would have noticed it right away. Do is the clamp pushing the hose off? How long does it take to come off after you tighten it? Is there not a ribbed section to help secure it on?
Old 01-13-2013, 01:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 4W-Jive
I'm interested in the outcome of this. I'm not doubting you OP but the whole thing seems strange. I have to think that if this was typical, others would have noticed it right away. Do is the clamp pushing the hose off? How long does it take to come off after you tighten it? Is there not a ribbed section to help secure it on?
You are correct the area that the hose connects to is smooth. I thought the same thing if it were ribbed it would have helped. When you start to tighten the clamp you can see it start to slide off. When I let it dry it took a little longer but still popped off. I agree if it were common there would have been people saying so from the start. I've tried positioning the clamp in different areas on the hose connection point but everywhere it still slides off. I'll go get some pics and post them up to show you the place it is failing, just give me a few minutes
Old 01-13-2013, 02:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same issue but I was lucky enough to notice it during the install. At first i thought i trimmed the silicon elbow too short and therefore i just got a new elbow and was careful with my trimming this time. The new elbow did help but i still had to let the sealant dry a bit before tightening down the hose clamp. The connection still has me worried a bit.

The issue is the air box itself. The piece of plastic at the bottom of the air box that the silicon elbow slides over is only 3/4" long. Therefore if everything is not aligned properly the elbow will slide off. A longer piece of plastic would allow for a better connection.

I am not worried about the other connections.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:13 PM
JK Newbie

So here are the pictures of the area that is having the issue.

This is the attachment point on the airbox. As you can see it is not ribbed to help keep the hose on.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130113_165628_690.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	409102

Here is just to show how the hose and airbox mate up.

Name:	IMG_20130113_165713_642.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	409103

This is what the hose and airbox look like when they are put together. Note that I don't have the 3" clamp attached in the picture but it would go on here over the hose. (duh).

Name:	IMG_20130113_165727_709.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	409104

I know the airbox looks dirty but I did clean it off while I was installing it. Whats on there is whats left of the dried RVT sealant. Hopefully these pics help if not I can take more.

Quick Reply: Rugged Ridge Snorkel Problems...