JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Rust, Rust & More Rust!! (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/rust-rust-more-rust-320761/)

jaxhammer 04-22-2015 04:00 PM

Rust, Rust & More Rust!!

I am new Jeep JK owner. Purchased a 2007 JKU in December for my son. It looks really good bu the weather just broke and we climbed underneath to find quite a bit of rust.

Looking at the back end, just under the bumper you can see some rust on the gas tank and other small parts under the vehicle. Thru the XD Crank rims you can see rust on the brake caliper and rotors.

Anyone out there fixed this problem? Any ideas? We at least want to fix the aesthetics of the vehicle. It is too awesome to be showing rust that just takes away from how badass it looks. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

srtsir 04-22-2015 04:05 PM

Try POR-15 I just did my 2015 JKUR all underneath to protect from rust from NY winters...It has good reviews..

jaxhammer 04-23-2015 02:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by srtsir (Post 4089393)
Try POR-15 I just did my 2015 JKUR all underneath to protect from rust from NY winters...It has good reviews..

I've read about the POR-15. It appears to be more of a rust preventer than a rust killer. Take a look at the pics as it provides a visual of what I am talking about.Attachment 607799Attachment 607800

After seeing this would you recommend the same?

jrod250 04-23-2015 03:00 PM

Use a wire brush to clean it up and then spray paint it black. Here in NY, vehicles look like that in no time. I hit mine with a coat of blk paint every spring.

SWFL 04-23-2015 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by jaxhammer (Post 4089389)
I am new Jeep JK owner. Purchased a 2010 JKU in December for my son. It looks really good bu the weather just broke and we climbed underneath to find quite a bit of rust.

Looking at the back end, just under the bumper you can see some rust on the gas tank and other small parts under the vehicle. Thru the XD Crank rims you can see rust on the brake caliper and rotors.

Anyone out there fixed this problem? Any ideas? We at least want to fix the aesthetics of the vehicle. It is too awesome to be showing rust that just takes away from how badass it looks. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Sand a bit of the exterior rust off and then Get a brush and a gallon of this. Best stuff Ive used. Rust turns purple and then black. Just dont get the spray. Then you can cover with a rustoleum spray color of your choice.
BlackStar Rust Converter

srtsir 04-23-2015 04:35 PM

Clean with brush and POR=15 I did it on few of my cars right over rust and it never came through that stuff is tough as nails..Just use gloves when applying it, it will stay on your hands for months...But POR-15 is the best stuff I ever used I used it on everything...I undercoated my dads Sprinter and it has held up through two Upstate NY winters and when washed still looks good...Cheaper than spray paint and lasts 10x longer..Goes on thin and when it dries its unremovable...

deathwagon 04-24-2015 06:11 AM

Go check out some new Wranglers sitting on dealer lots. You'll see plenty of rust on brand new ones. Brakes, driveshafts, exhausts...

Pthorpe84 04-24-2015 07:07 AM

Look up GEMS Rust Killer. Great product. I have used it for years. Your local Sherwin-Williams store can order it in for you or possible have it in stock. We sell it to food and beverage facilities regularly. Good luck.

jaxhammer 05-18-2015 09:52 AM

Can you use a wire brush (or would you use) a wire brush on any of the rust shown in my pics above?

Differential
Lower part of Shock mount
Exhaust
Muffler
Brake Drum (not where the brake pad hits)

kfast24 05-18-2015 10:52 AM

Wait rust isn't normal... Jk ya wire brush everything or if you have a wire wheel just go to town. Make sure you actually take care of the rust use por or whatever you like in it before you go to town with a raddle can.