Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rust, Rust & More Rust!!

Old 04-22-2015, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rust, Rust & More Rust!!

I am new Jeep JK owner. Purchased a 2007 JKU in December for my son. It looks really good bu the weather just broke and we climbed underneath to find quite a bit of rust.

Looking at the back end, just under the bumper you can see some rust on the gas tank and other small parts under the vehicle. Thru the XD Crank rims you can see rust on the brake caliper and rotors.

Anyone out there fixed this problem? Any ideas? We at least want to fix the aesthetics of the vehicle. It is too awesome to be showing rust that just takes away from how badass it looks. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Last edited by jaxhammer; 05-18-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try POR-15 I just did my 2015 JKUR all underneath to protect from rust from NY winters...It has good reviews..
Old 04-23-2015, 02:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by srtsir
Try POR-15 I just did my 2015 JKUR all underneath to protect from rust from NY winters...It has good reviews..
I've read about the POR-15. It appears to be more of a rust preventer than a rust killer. Take a look at the pics as it provides a visual of what I am talking about.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5604.jpg
Views:	4653
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	607799Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5605.jpg
Views:	5125
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	607800

After seeing this would you recommend the same?
Old 04-23-2015, 03:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Use a wire brush to clean it up and then spray paint it black. Here in NY, vehicles look like that in no time. I hit mine with a coat of blk paint every spring.
The following users liked this post:
WheelinWillyFifteen (11-22-2019)
Old 04-23-2015, 04:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jaxhammer
I am new Jeep JK owner. Purchased a 2010 JKU in December for my son. It looks really good bu the weather just broke and we climbed underneath to find quite a bit of rust.

Looking at the back end, just under the bumper you can see some rust on the gas tank and other small parts under the vehicle. Thru the XD Crank rims you can see rust on the brake caliper and rotors.

Anyone out there fixed this problem? Any ideas? We at least want to fix the aesthetics of the vehicle. It is too awesome to be showing rust that just takes away from how badass it looks. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Sand a bit of the exterior rust off and then Get a brush and a gallon of this. Best stuff Ive used. Rust turns purple and then black. Just dont get the spray. Then you can cover with a rustoleum spray color of your choice.
BlackStar Rust Converter
Old 04-23-2015, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

Clean with brush and POR=15 I did it on few of my cars right over rust and it never came through that stuff is tough as nails..Just use gloves when applying it, it will stay on your hands for months...But POR-15 is the best stuff I ever used I used it on everything...I undercoated my dads Sprinter and it has held up through two Upstate NY winters and when washed still looks good...Cheaper than spray paint and lasts 10x longer..Goes on thin and when it dries its unremovable...
Old 04-24-2015, 06:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Go check out some new Wranglers sitting on dealer lots. You'll see plenty of rust on brand new ones. Brakes, driveshafts, exhausts...
The following users liked this post:
WheelinWillyFifteen (11-22-2019)
Old 04-24-2015, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Look up GEMS Rust Killer. Great product. I have used it for years. Your local Sherwin-Williams store can order it in for you or possible have it in stock. We sell it to food and beverage facilities regularly. Good luck.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Can you use a wire brush (or would you use) a wire brush on any of the rust shown in my pics above?

Differential
Lower part of Shock mount
Exhaust
Muffler
Brake Drum (not where the brake pad hits)
Old 05-18-2015, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wait rust isn't normal... Jk ya wire brush everything or if you have a wire wheel just go to town. Make sure you actually take care of the rust use por or whatever you like in it before you go to town with a raddle can.

Quick Reply: Rust, Rust & More Rust!!