Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RV Tow Bar recommendations for modified JK?

Old 10-20-2012, 12:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RV Tow Bar recommendations for modified JK?

Searched the forum but couldn't find specific info about RV tow bars for JK's, so I figured I would post this new thread. Hopefully, someone can point us to an existing thread or help us with our questions.

We're getting our new RV set up to flat tow our modified JK in preparation for Easter Jeep Safari 2013. We have a 2010 2 dr JK with a 4" lift, 37" tires & a Rugged Ridge XHD front bumper with stinger.

Thinking of the Blue Ox tow bar (Aladdin model or similar) & the Blue Ox base plate (for JK) but don't want to sacrifice ground clearance or risk damage to the tow bar attachment points while at Moab this coming season. Would prefer to modify or bolt on to the existing Rugged Ridge bumper somehow. Making custom welded brackets for the tow bar is no problem. Where & how to mount them safely & without sacrificing clearance & risking trail damage to the towing mounts is the real question. The D-ring mounting locations are high & currently bolt-on. Was thinking just making new mounts to bolt into the same thru holes.

Anyone done a similar set up? Pics? Videos?
Old 10-20-2012, 01:00 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

I don't have any personal experience but I've been looking into it as well. There is some good info here:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-t...r-jeep-242386/
Old 10-20-2012, 01:39 PM
JK Newbie

We use the Blue Ox Baseplate in our 2012 Rubicon. Works great with the Leveling Kit.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mntdriver
We use the Blue Ox Baseplate in our 2012 Rubicon. Works great with the Leveling Kit.
How's the Blue Ox base plate for off road clearance?
Old 10-28-2012, 08:02 PM
JK Newbie

In my experience with a lifted two door 2009 Wrangler, the Blue Ox kinda sucks for wheeling. Not too bad for ground clearance but when approaching a steep rock wall or etc., it will hit too quick. If you are not going to go up real steep inclines then no problem. I had a bumper made by LOD that incorporated the brackets for my Blue Ox hitch built into it. Works great. I would just try it before I bought something else, might not be a problem for you. Somewhere like a moderate trail at Moab and your not going to like it.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think a good steel bumper could be modified so the Roadmaster receivers or Blue Ox hooks could be part of the bumper. The Blue Ox mounts aren't that different from a tow hook built for a shackle. In the case of Roadmaster the receivers would be built into the bumper. This would need a hitch fabricator who knows his/her business.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:28 PM
JK Freak

Aev makes a bracket that works with their bumper and th blue ox tow bar, looks like it could work on any bumper that has dring mounts
Old 10-31-2012, 05:25 AM
JK Newbie

I went with the Tow Bar Mounting Plate for JK from Currie Enterprises (rockjock4x4.com).
Currie Enterprises CJ Axle Parts
Might have to make a few modifications to make it fit with the Rugged Ridge XHD front bumper.

And this Tow Bar from Currie...
No adjustability in this tow bar but the price was certainly great.

The combined price was more than $1000 less than going with the Blue Ox set up.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RubiCamp
I went with the Tow Bar Mounting Plate for JK from Currie Enterprises (rockjock4x4.com).
Might have to make a few modifications to make it fit with the Rugged Ridge XHD front bumper.

And this Tow Bar from Currie...
No adjustability in this tow bar but the price was certainly great.

The combined price was more than $1000 less than going with the Blue Ox set up.
This looks like the same one i tow my jeep with. Works good for me. The connection points are welded onto the crash bar below the bumper. Id put up a picture but it says some kind of error is happening and it will not load
Old 11-01-2012, 09:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by saravonshep
This looks like the same one i tow my jeep with. Works good for me. The connection points are welded onto the crash bar below the bumper. Id put up a picture but it says some kind of error is happening and it will not load
How's this Currie tow bar set up working for you? Any approach angle issues with the tow bar mounting bracket?

Quick Reply: RV Tow Bar recommendations for modified JK?