Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

In search of a nice rack...

Old 02-28-2008, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default In search of a nice rack...

Bike rack, that is ...Can anybody recommend a good hitch-mounted bike rack that will hold 4 bikes and sticks out far enough to clear a 35x12.5" spare?

Thanks
Old 02-28-2008, 11:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oops, wrong forum

Sorry, meant to post this in the JK Talk forum...mods, feel free to move it there.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to say " aren't we all!!!!! " but then saw the bike reference... sorry can't help
Old 02-29-2008, 08:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nice Rack

I was gonna refer you to the "eyeful a day thread" for a nice rack. Sorry I can't help your either.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Shakeyhands
I was going to say " aren't we all!!!!! " but then saw the bike reference... sorry can't help
I was headed right there too!!
Old 02-29-2008, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default bike rack

I use this one, it holds 4 bikes with no problems. We put the longer piece in that goes into the reciever and theres plenty on room. Sorry I don't have any pictures.
http://www.saris.com/p-306-t-rax-sport.aspx
Old 02-29-2008, 07:56 PM
JK Junkie

Thule T2 with the 2 bike add on. I only have the 2 bike rack but I will be getting the add on. My bike is worth about $5500 so I dont want it to touch other bikes.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Only holds two

Room for two but it make let them jiggle a little
Old 03-01-2008, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I thought I mentioned it, but the Thule is a great rack...you may also want to check the Yakima offerings.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:33 PM
JK Newbie

I just installed the Thule 964 Revolver on my '08 Wrangler Unlimited (4-door) Sahara.

I was concerned about the "fit" from all the posts about racks not clearing the spare tire, but this rack fits PERFECTLY...without any hitch extensions.

I visited a local bike store to talk about racks that would fit a Wrangler (actually was interested in the Saris T-Rax Pro and Thule 964 Revolver before walking in there) and they happened to have the Thule 964 displayed and put together already. I figured we'd solve this "does it fit on a Wrangler or not" problem real quick, so I asked the guy to bring it outside and slide it into my hitch receiver to check it out.

We slid it in, lined it up and tightened it up and it fit perfectly. Problem solved.

It clears the stock 18" spare AND you can lower/raise the two bars that the bikes sit on down (in its folded position) and back up again (in its "bike holding" position) without making contact with the spare tire. In it's up position and when it's tighted to the hitch receiver, you have clearance about the size of the thickness of a pencil between the tire and the closest part of the rack.

Yes, this rack is pricey at around $400...but I decided on it and against the Saris because...1) I now had first-hand evidence that the Thule 964 fit my Jeep Wrangler, 2) I've owned other Thule racks and I know they're solid and have a good reputation...I actually know nothing about Saris and would have been taking a leap of faith in the area of quality/build, etc.. The Thule is solid with very little "give", 3) I ski in the winter, so I left open the option of adding on a ski/snowboard rack (to the bike rack) when the time comes, whereas Saris doesn't offer an add-on/attachment like that, 4) the swingout feature on the Thule is optimal for me and my family of 4...I know there will be times where my wife, kids and I will be driving somewhere to go bike riding and we'll need to stop somewhere, for some reason, and someone will need to get something out of the back and we'll be able to easily access the cargo area without having to remove the bikes, 5) the Saris sticks out an extra 5-6" from the receiver, which is good because it will give you MORE clearance from your spare tire if you need it, but I ultimately looked at that as a negative because I want my rack to be optimal on other vehicles too. For example, my wife drives a Toyota Sienna minivan...and if she ever wanted to go bike riding with or without the kids and knew she wouldn't have access to my Jeep, the Saris would (appear to) be sticking out sooo much further on a non-Jeep vehicle because of that extra clearance. It would still function just fine, but that was more of an aesthetic concern for me, 6) it fits!

That's it. I wanted to post this and help anyone out there who is on the same quest that I was just on.

Quick Reply: In search of a nice rack...