Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Shock absorbers? High dollar or regular?

Old 08-28-2011, 05:42 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deere_Jeep
I'm going with the Bilstien 5100. They're like $350 or less for a set. I would like the elka's or others but at $800-$1000, I can buy something else cool for the Jeep. They've got to be much better than the X shocks on extensions I'm running.
The bilstien 5100's are a good shock for a DD and moderate off-road. They will fill most people's needs. But the difference off-road is where a res. shock will shine. When you a long 4 or 5hr trail switching from rocks to high speed sections, they can be a blessing. When I was running Bilstiens in Moab after an all day run, I felt like I'd been in a fight. I was running Elkas on the next trip, no beat up feeling at the end of the day.
Not trying to change anyone's mind, just relaying my experiences and the advantages of res. shocks.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjeep
The bilstien 5100's are a good shock for a DD and moderate off-road. They will fill most people's needs. But the difference off-road is where a res. shock will shine. When you a long 4 or 5hr trail switching from rocks to high speed sections, they can be a blessing. When I was running Bilstiens in Moab after an all day run, I felt like I'd been in a fight. I was running Elkas on the next trip, no beat up feeling at the end of the day.
Not trying to change anyone's mind, just relaying my experiences and the advantages of res. shocks.
Good information. I think its important that when looking at mods you know the appropriate application. Moderate offroad is what I would classify my normal application. I'm dreaming of moab 2012!
Old 08-28-2011, 05:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man... My insurance bill came in the mail today!? Damn! I don't know if I can do insurance AND fox shocks :( can someone give me some money?
Old 08-28-2011, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

anyone ever tried the evo shock? not the coilover or the one with a reservoir? i think they are the king 2.0 but not to sure...
Old 08-29-2011, 06:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by superjk10
anyone ever tried the evo shock? not the coilover or the one with a reservoir? i think they are the king 2.0 but not to sure...
I'm sure they are expensive as hell. Most likely to be real nice tho.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:04 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
EVO MFG Representative

All EVO SPEC OEM King shocks are made from solid billets of aluminum and steel. They are completely rebuildable and all parts are replaceable. Since they are rebuildable, they are technically the last shocks you will ever need to buy.

They can also be revalved if you would like to change the ride of them.

EVO SPEC OEM Shocks are available in 0-2.5" lift, 3-5" lift and 6"+ lift per shock below.

2.0 Non-Reservoir: Front $235 Rear $247 (each)

2.5 with Reservoir: $340 front and/or rear (each)

EVO...
Old 08-29-2011, 03:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Dang those kings are sexxxy.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

those look badass Tom! can't wait to check em out in person.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:06 PM
JK Super Freak

So unless your driving the baja 500, is the king, elka, fox reservoir beneficial? Why would you need them going 2mph over rocks? Whats the best allround dd rock crawling shock?
Old 08-29-2011, 04:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jtjk
After some research into the best options for the jk you are looking at ...

- AEV tuned bilstien 5160's $800

- Teraflex Elkas $999

- Teraflex FOX $750

- ORE KING $ 1000++
Damn! Those are some expensive shocks! Haven't looked into high performance shocks for the JK yet, but a set of 4 high-end auto-adjusting Koni shocks for my 15 ton bus was only about $900. You could make a set of 4 Jeep shocks out of just one of them. I get the idea aftermarket parts suppliers see off-road folks coming.

Quick Reply: Shock absorbers? High dollar or regular?