Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Shock absorbers? High dollar or regular?

Old 08-28-2011, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock absorbers? High dollar or regular?

Have a 4" TF lift and found my front driver teraflex shock is blown. I'm torn between just buying two new TF shocks for the front OR going all out and buying 2 front $FOX reservoir shocks$. My question is... Is it worth all that money for fox shocks? Better ride? What are the advantages/disadvantages of reservoir shocks?
Old 08-28-2011, 10:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 07 JK "bullfrog"
Have a 4" TF lift and found my front driver teraflex shock is blown. I'm torn between just buying two new TF shocks for the front OR going all out and buying 2 front $FOX reservoir shocks$. My question is... Is it worth all that money for fox shocks? Better ride? What are the advantages/disadvantages of reservoir shocks?
I have recently gone through the same debate. there is allot about this if you give it a search. But here is what i have found....

Advantage of a reservoir shocks is
They provide better coiling and will help to avoid shock fade with this you will be able to run at higher speeds over whoops and such
they can provide a better range of travel
They add a unique look to ur rig

Disadvantages
Cost

------------------

The odds are that for most they are not going to be able to feel the difference on the road in a 1000 set of shocks compared to a 300 set, nor are they ever going to use the reservoir shock to its full potential off road.

That said they are very cool and with the right suspension setup its fun to run to be able to run fast on fire roads between trails. For me i went with the remote res - bilstien 5160's.

After some research into the best options for the jk you are looking at ...

- AEV tuned bilstien 5160's $800

- Teraflex Elkas $999

- Teraflex FOX $750

- ORE KING $ 1000++

From my research the foxs are more for high speed prerunning. The elkas will do both as they are valved for both high and low speed runs. They aev seems to be review as being the best highway ridding shock.

I went with the 5160s because i could not justify the higher cost of the Elkas or Kings.

there is a whole bunch more info out there. hopefully someone more experienced can chime in as well.

Last edited by jtjk; 08-28-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bump: the info here is helping me!! I want all the info I can get before I order in a few days. Thanks
Old 08-28-2011, 02:43 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck on your decision... I am going to use my stock rubi shocks with extension for a while and then upgrade to 5100's.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:06 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Elka's. They ride better than Bilstein 5100's on road and royally kickass off road. I've run 4 different sets of shocks, so.....finally I'm happy.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:26 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep
I have Elka's. They ride better than Bilstein 5100's on road and royally kickass off road. I've run 4 different sets of shocks, so.....finally I'm happy.
Those are tuned for TF specs, wonder how they would do with other lifts?
Old 08-28-2011, 04:34 PM
JK Newbie

Default fox all the way

i put the fox 2.0 on my jku a couple months back it was the best money i ever spent. the 2.0 have no resivor and unless you are gonna race baja you dont need em on a trail rig and they are tuned perfect for a jk. a definate upgrade and fairly priced at $239 a pair.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:40 PM
JK Freak

I'm going with the Bilstien 5100. They're like $350 or less for a set. I would like the elka's or others but at $800-$1000, I can buy something else cool for the Jeep. They've got to be much better than the X shocks on extensions I'm running.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Any real appreciable difference between the teraflex fox vs bilstein 5100.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:22 PM
JK Freak

Shipped? I could get a new Driveshaft for the difference in price between the sets of shocks, or a snorkel.

Quick Reply: Shock absorbers? High dollar or regular?