Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Shock boots

Old 03-05-2012, 08:38 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by scemracing
I also think you guys are under estimating the strength of the seals plus the shock shaft has a very thin layer of oil so I do not believe stuff really gets stuck to the shaft it is more just sitting there so it will get pushed away easily.
i think you're misunderstanding what really happens. the boots are just held loosely held in place at the shaft mount and zip tied to the can. from what i have seen, the loose fit at shaft mount allows mud and wet debris to get in and stay caught inside. not as much of a problem if you have shocks mounted can side up but still, it does happen. over time, this debris will help encourage the shaft itself to start rusting and that'll aggrivate the seals and cause them to wear out prematurely. but hey, that's just what i've seen.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:01 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife

i think you're misunderstanding what really happens. the boots are just held loosely held in place at the shaft mount and zip tied to the can. from what i have seen, the loose fit at shaft mount allows mud and wet debris to get in and stay caught inside. not as much of a problem if you have shocks mounted can side up but still, it does happen. over time, this debris will help encourage the shaft itself to start rusting and that'll aggrivate the seals and cause them to wear out prematurely. but hey, that's just what i've seen.
I understand wayoflife if you see my post up a few I said how the boot is held on by a zip tie and the top is loosely held there and they don't seal. I took mine off before I even installed them. I was commenting on how people where saying stuff on the shaft will get into the shock which I disagree on. But letting mud/water sit on the shaft from the boot will cause the shaft to corrode which will tear up the seals inside the shock The corroded shaft will act like sand paper to the seals.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:03 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by scemracing
I understand wayoflife if you see my post up a few I said how the boot is held on by a zip tie and the top is loosely held there and they don't seal. I took mine off before I even installed them. I was commenting on how people where saying stuff on the shaft will get into the shock which I disagree on. But letting mud/water sit on the shaft from the boot will cause the shaft to corrode which will tear up the seals inside the shock The corroded shaft will act like sand paper to the seals.
sorry about that, i do see that now. i didn't read through the whole thread before posting and i should have. it was i who misunderstood you and apologize. crap on the shaft will NOT cause the seals to go bad but rather, rust that develops on it from trapped mud and gunk will.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem we all do that

Quick Reply: Shock boots