Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Shock boots

Old 03-05-2012, 07:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock boots

Just installed a 3.5"premium lift last month from AEV. I went to a 4wd shop local to me and they said the first thing they would do is remove the boots on the shocks. They say they hold water and make things rust which is not covered by the warranty. What do you guys think?

Thanks
Old 03-05-2012, 07:39 AM
JK Freak

That is the impression I am under too so I removed mine. Plus it looks better without them.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:42 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Taholland
Just installed a 3.5"premium lift last month from AEV. I went to a 4wd shop local to me and they said the first thing they would do is remove the boots on the shocks. They say they hold water and make things rust which is not covered by the warranty. What do you guys think?

Thanks
Yea, and if my aunt had a dick, she'd be my uncle.... All these people and their crazy observations. Yea, it COULD I guess...but come on.....how likely is that to happen? So I guess ALL boots should be taken off ALL shocks or ALL of them will rust? Just because this one guy saw it or thinks it should be done is highly opinionated...

Sorry if I ranted a little, haha.... its not at you, just kinda bothersome how someone could say something so odd....makes sense, but how true is it? Just something so petty/out of the box makes you say "ummm, I guess it could hold water"

ok, i'm done...
Old 03-05-2012, 07:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scemracing
That is the impression I am under too so I removed mine. Plus it looks better without them.
I've heard that many times from good jeep mechanics and other jeepers too. Plus I agree it looks better without them.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:48 AM
JK Junkie

So, all the dirt, road spray, salt, and god knows what else that gets stuck on the shaft of the shock after you remove the boot doesnt matter when it oscillates and pulls all that into the shock? I don't think they engineered the shock that "if you run a protective boot, it's gonna retain water and rust on you". The seals are tight, unless you have it sit in water for a week, I don't think you will have any issues....and if you do, I'm sure it will be replaced because there is no way to avoid your shocks not getting wet.

To each his own I guess... I guess I just don't "see it" the way these mechanics are or you fellow members do. Hope I don't jynx myself, ha!

Old 03-05-2012, 07:55 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Taholland

Thanks
yeah, i used to run boots a long time ago, back when they were cool. after seeing what they can do, i'm no longer a fan of them and have seen exactly what your shop was telling you. if you're out in the desert, it isn't so bad but, being that you're in the south and will most likely see a lot of mud, i'm not sure i'd want them on.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:01 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by FoxRacingJMC
So, all the dirt, road spray, salt, and god knows what else that gets stuck on the shaft of the shock after you remove the boot doesnt matter when it oscillates and pulls all that into the shock? I don't think they engineered the shock that "if you run a protective boot, it's gonna retain water and rust on you". The seals are tight, unless you have it sit in water for a week, I don't think you will have any issues....and if you do, I'm sure it will be replaced because there is no way to avoid your shocks not getting wet.

To each his own I guess... I guess I just don't "see it" the way these mechanics are or you fellow members do. Hope I don't jynx myself, ha!

The stuff that sticks to the shaft does not get pulled into the shock it gets wiped away by a seals (I am not sure but they probably have some kind of seal just for the wiping of the shaft) look at industrial hydraulic rams they do not use boots and they are used in some pretty bad environments. The seals are not tight on boots most are held on with a zip tie and the top of my 5100 boot was a metal ring that would never seal it wasn't designed to.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe it could go either way. With them you could retain water. Without them you could collect dirt/debris on the shaft which would get drug through the seal of the shock during suspension travel. Either way, shock are wear and tear items that, for most jeepers, get blown and replaced on a regular basis. I left mine on because they have this little slit at the bottom that water can drain out of. No rust or debris on my shaft yet.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:05 AM
JK Junkie

The stuff that sticks to the shaft does not get pulled into the shock it gets wiped away by a seals (I am not sure but they probably have some kind of seal just for the wiping of the shaft) look at industrial hydraulic rams they do not use boots and they are used in some pretty bad environments. The seals are not tight on boots most are held on with a zip tie and the top of my 5100 boot was a metal ring that would never seal it wasn't designed to.
Im on the same page with ya bud, I was speaking hypothetically saying it will get sucked into the shock. I know the shocks seal and are sealed well, its just that I guess I'm having a hard time accepting/understanding that while it does make sense, how does running a boot climb to the extreme situation of rusting shocks.

Needless to say, I'm willing to bet by the end of today, I will be taking my boots off now too! LOL!
Old 03-05-2012, 08:06 AM
JK Freak

I also think you guys are under estimating the strength of the seals plus the shock shaft has a very thin layer of oil so I do not believe stuff really gets stuck to the shaft it is more just sitting there so it will get pushed away easily.

Quick Reply: Shock boots