Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shop can't align lifted jeep without special ball joints

Old 06-02-2014, 12:36 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Camber is supposed to be between -0.62° and +0.12°. You have -0.63° on one side. I wouldn't worry about it. Some JKs come from the factory worse than that and have no issues.
You are so close to being within limits it could be a result of alignment rack tolerances or the technician's set-up tolerances.
Definitely not worth spending money on it.

My first alignment check showed -0.7° on the right. Handling was good, and tires were wearing evenly.
2 years later the right side camber showed -0.6° without having done anything to correct it from before.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info to know. My caster and toe are still off but that isn't a problem to align

Last edited by JK_Convert; 06-02-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:57 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK_Convert
Good info to know. My caster and toe are still off but that isn't a problem to align
Yes in deedy. Any alignment that can be done on a Jeep is fairly easy to DIY.

Here is all the information you need:
Basic Do-it-Yourself Jeep JK Wrangler Front End Alignment

Last edited by scooby snacks; 06-03-2014 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Posting to a non-sponsor forum
Old 06-03-2014, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I went with an AEV 2.5 with brackets and never had mine aligned. It drives straight as an arrow with zero unusual tire wear.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:37 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Sahara Lee
Yes in deedy. Any alignment that can be done on a Jeep is fairly easy to DIY.

Here is all the information you need:
Basic Do-it-Yourself Jeep JK Wrangler Front End Alignment
The angle finder in the link above can be used to keep track of how much you change the caster, but cannot be used to get an actual caster reading. Even an alignment machine can't read caster directly. It calculates it from how much the wheels lean when turned left and right.
I would get an alignment check done, then use the angle finder to know how much change to crank in with the control arms.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'll align lifted jeep all day long if I could. It's not that hard. I adjust caster if it can be done with the arms, if it out bad(but piņon angle is more important) and set toe. I'm a flare rare tech, we get payed 1.2 hours for an alignment on every vehicle (Lambs to Hondas) it doesn't mater. So if you pay for an alignment it have them adjust the arms, or don't pay for it.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:51 AM
Former Vendor

Your caster is to high. Pull that back to about 4.5 degrees. Also you want to adjust your toe in. I wouldn't worry about the camber as it sits now, although you will want to add at least axle c gussets to prevent the C from bending.

Don't do offset ball joints. If you are planning on installing a new a set of ball joints I would recommend the Synergy ball joints.

Since you profile doesn't say where you are located I will just throw the idea out there and let you know that we can get your alignment straightened out for you. PM us if you are local to NJ.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:46 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah I am getting it aligned Friday at a 4x4 shop here in NE. I appreciate your offer for your shop and I would definitely accept if I were closer!

Oh yeah and I'm not gonna do any new ball joints - jeep only has 49k on it..
Old 06-03-2014, 07:30 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JK_Convert
Yeah I am getting it aligned Friday at a 4x4 shop here in NE. I appreciate your offer for your shop and I would definitely accept if I were closer!

Oh yeah and I'm not gonna do any new ball joints - jeep only has 49k on it..
Sounds good! Hopefully everything gets sorted out for you this time around!

Quick Reply: Shop can't align lifted jeep without special ball joints