Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short arm VS Long arm

Old 09-30-2017, 06:52 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

its just a $30,000 kit with 200 hours of install. We had one come thru the shop for some tweaking and the customer spent $55k for basically the same kit as the Terramoto sans the dash and LS.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I've run what amounts to Teraflex's Pre Runner 4" long arm for the last 30k. I say essentially the same because I pieced it together over time. I started with their 3" 8 arm kit, added 4" springs, SpeedBumps & Billy 5100s. Later I did the long arm upgrade and TF's Fox resis. The result is a much improved highway ride, while trail peformance gains are mostly in stability & ride. I can fly down rocky trails if I wanted to. Very happy with it, but cost vs cost I think you can save a lot of money and get pretty close o the same performance gains with a well dialed in short arm on quality drop brackets. I'm reminded of a conversation I had many years ago with John Currie. I asked when they were going to release a long arm for JK. His reply was "Why, do you think you need one?" He went on to explain pretty much what Dirtman says. There are a few long arm kits out there and it pays to look them all over. I know guy with TF, Synergy and RK long arms, all pretty much perform similarly.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:19 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
correct, too bad you don't raise the axle side lower brackets and really do something about clearance. Raising the frame side while leaving the axle end stock increases axle steer and requires more steering corrections while driving down the road. Think about it, do you really gain clearance by raising the high end on something or the low end. Its amazing how these experts in suspension can't see this simple way to improve on the suspension.
I understand your point but you've missed mine. The user I quoted made a statement about mounts dangling below the frame, I replied that our brackets don't hang below the frame. You do gain clearance where you need it the most on the break over angle.

Adam C

Quick Reply: Short arm VS Long arm