Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ShrockWorks mid-width + SuperWinch = Yea!!

Old 10-15-2007, 03:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ShrockWorks mid-width + SuperWinch = Yea!!

I spent about 6 hours yesterday installing my new ShrockWorks mid-width front bumper and SuperWinch ep9.0 (yes, I'm a newbie--hence the 6 hours!)

A couple of things to report for those who may be considering this combination:

I had checked with Nick prior to ordering both winch and bumper to be sure they would fit, and he thought there would be no issues like with the stubby. He was within 7/16" of being right! I found that I did have to re-drill to mount the winch because the existing holes did not allow the winch to clear the bumper on the driver's side. Re-drilled the winch plate (4 holes), the bumper (2 holes--the front holes for the winch), and the skid plate (2 holes). Fortunately, my helper buddy had a great set of sharp drill bits, so no big deal.

The only other issue was in mounting the factory fogs--they fit beautifully in the cutouts provided by ShrockWorks, but the wiring harness does not reach either light, so I spliced in extra wire, using butt splices, silicon, and heat shrink tubing. Again, no big deal.

The wiring was a snap, as others have reported, and the battery leads turned out to be exactly the right, comfortable length--just like it had been designed for the JK.

I'm really pleased with the finish (black textured) and the way it looks on my Rubicon with the black fenders. The workmanship, as reported by so many others, is exceptional! Thanks to all the guys at ShrockWorks for a great product! I'm looking forward to their rear bumper--that's my next major undertaking!

(sorry--the camera is on the fritz, will post pics when I can)

Howard
Old 10-15-2007, 03:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Glad you like the new setup. Even though you already stated about your camera, you knew this was coming.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:06 PM
JK Newbie

You're right--I deserved that, but didn't want to wait for the camera repair to let others know how the install went. I'll see if I can borrow my buddy's camera tomorrow, clean off the mud, and get some pics to post.

Howard
Old 10-15-2007, 03:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by hroerig
You're right--I deserved that, but didn't want to wait for the camera repair to let others know how the install went. I'll see if I can borrow my buddy's camera tomorrow, clean off the mud, and get some pics to post.

Howard
Sounds good. But the mud may add something to the picutre if you leave it on.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:14 PM
JK Freak

I really wanted a picture with that, sounds super.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hroerig
The only other issue was in mounting the factory fogs--they fit beautifully in the cutouts provided by ShrockWorks, but the wiring harness does not reach either light, so I spliced in extra wire, using butt splices, silicon, and heat shrink tubing. Again, no big deal.
I had the same problem. I found that I was able to get additional length out of the way the wires were routed in the loom. I was able to get them to fit well without splicing.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:09 AM
Former Vendor

Glad to hear it got it in OK and that you're pleased with how it turned out!

I really thought the bumper would be tall enough that the winch would slide under the bumper. Was it hitting the bumper itself or the piece of the frame the yellow arrow it pointing to?

This pic is of a stubby....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	superwinch.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	3732  
Old 10-16-2007, 12:37 PM
JK Freak

ohh ya please post pics because I have a shrockworks on order, and I really wanted to order a epi9 superwinch... but not if you gotta do all that work to get it to fit!! That seems like a crap load of redrilling. relocating... to get it to fit. I think I'll just get a ramsey..
Old 10-16-2007, 02:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shrockworks
Glad to hear it got it in OK and that you're pleased with how it turned out!

I really thought the bumper would be tall enough that the winch would slide under the bumper. Was it hitting the bumper itself or the piece of the frame the yellow arrow it pointing to?

This pic is of a stubby....

I have all the dimensions (bolt holes, height, length, etc) and a diagram of the superwinch. I can send it to you if you think you can fix the issues with your bumper and this winch.
Let me know if you're interested in looking at it.

You can PM me or respond on here
Old 10-16-2007, 05:11 PM
JK Newbie

Jim, you nailed it--the yellow arrow. I sent a PM to Nick saying I should be able to send pics tomorrow.

Thanks,
Howard

Quick Reply: ShrockWorks mid-width + SuperWinch = Yea!!