Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

SmittlyBilt Rock Rails - Heads Up. Are all their products like this?

Old 10-19-2012, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SmittlyBilt Rock Rails - Heads Up. Are all their products like this?

You've got to be kidding me with these things. I love them now that they're finally on but...

First the good: These things look awesome and are very well built. Heavy duty... solid. I'm very happy with them (now that it's over)...

The bad: Having to drill out the mounting holes in order to fit them onto the frame mount. Something that could've taken 20 minutes to bolt on had all the holes been the same size took well over 2 hours (by myself... likely not as brutal if you make it a two man job).

Granted I don't have an arsenal of tools and maybe someone with a real work bench might have an easier time (I live in a downtown apartment and am limited on my power tools), but come on...

Both holes on the front portion of the rails are too small to fit over the screws to mount on the frame. The rear portion, no problem and a piece of cake, but have fun drilling out just the right amount of room to mount them on in the front. I guess a little metallic splinters never hurt anyone though.

All that said... anyone have the Smittybilt SRC front bumper? That was my next purchase but if I have to go crazy with it I might lean towards something else.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have seen multiple fitment issues with their product. Try installing a few sets of the high clearance fenders. Not a fan in the slightest. But you get what you pay for...
Old 10-19-2012, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine bolted up flawlessly in a matter of 10 mins by myself. Got them for a 2dr 07 and no complaints at all. Wish I would of went a different route but overall I'm happy with them

I also have there stinger front bumper, simple fit and heavy duty. Did have to drill 3 holes to add the skid under it but it was a walk in the park.

Also running the fenders that they sell. Everything fitted just fine and very easy. Maybe I got lucky but I've had good luck with everything from them

Last edited by Boyerracing343; 10-19-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Smittybuilt winch plate had fitment issues. Took a lot of reaming/prying to get it to go together. Smitty air compressor dead two weaks outside of its warranty. I will be very wary and avoid any Smittybilt products in my future.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with Rob on this one. Had issues with fit and quality on my xrc rock rails and stinger. I didnt know any better and they were in budget at the moment. I'll save and pay a little extra next time.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Zero problems with the install of my Smittybilt rails on the JKUR.
Did you mostly/completely tighten one end before you tried to insert the bolt on the other? That will always throw alignments off.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wish that would've been the issue. The holes on the rails were too narrow to fit over the screws in the frame.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:17 AM
JK Freak

My dad purchased Smittybuilt bumpers for his TJ and has been having a hell of a time getting stuff to line up. And he saud the rear tire carrier wont even latch becuase it is just a little to "far off".
Old 10-20-2012, 05:22 AM
JK Freak

Did my sliders no problem with no issues but again I have an 07 JKU but have also heard of fitment problems a cross the board and I stopped buying their stuff because I started to get leery of the quality when I saw so many people having problems.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:40 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tymonster
I wish that would've been the issue. The holes on the rails were too narrow to fit over the screws in the frame.
That was one of the problems.

Quick Reply: SmittlyBilt Rock Rails - Heads Up. Are all their products like this?