Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smittybilt bumpers

Old 06-19-2014, 05:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smittybilt bumpers

Anyone on here have or had a SRC or an XRC bumper? If so, how well did it hold up?
Old 06-19-2014, 05:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the front and rear xrc bumpers for over a year with no issues.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:24 PM
JK Newbie

I have the src rear with tire carrier. Powder coat had held up, but the tire carrier is a POS. The handle is a bastard to close and then won't stay locked. You will drive down the road and the next thing you know you can see you rear tire in your passenger mirror. I put a bungee cord on it now to hold it, but that is not exactly the look I wanted . I sent them an email about it, but to my amazement I got no response. I guess I'll save up and get a teraflex hinge. I do like the look of the new gen 2 src bumper that is supposed to be coming out though .
Old 06-19-2014, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mickjeeper
I guess I'll save up and get a teraflex hinge. .
I have the Teraflex HD tire carrier and absolutely love it. Strong as hell and not even the slightest noise or shake when driving anywhere. I'm carrying a 37" Nitto on there too
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2039035269.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	560772
Old 06-19-2014, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

I have the src rear with tire carrier. Powder coat had held up, but the tire carrier is a POS. The handle is a bastard to close and then won't stay locked. You will drive down the road and the next thing you know you can see you rear tire in your passenger mirror. I put a bungee cord on it now to hold it, but that is not exactly the look I wanted . I sent them an email about it, but to my amazement I got no response. I guess I'll save up and get a teraflex hinge. I do like the look of the new gen 2 src bumper that is supposed to be coming out though .
Ouch, that does suck. I'm just trying to decide on what I want to do. Because if I get the bumper and it turns out like your experience, then it'll cost me more money trying to save money rather an actually saving money. But if it turns out good then I'll have saved some serious money. The Smittybilt is $900 and the Knuckles Offroad is $1350 or $1600 depending on which actual tire mount I go with. So I could possibly save quite a bit, but if I get a lemon I'll ended up spending way more than $1300 by the time I have to buy another bumper.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 54~BLITZ
I have the front and rear xrc bumpers for over a year with no issues.
I have frt/rear src's. Only issue was two bolt holes did not line up exactly, so drilled them out and installed bolts. Other than that fine.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:52 PM
JK Super Freak

They came out with a little bracket that stops this from happening. If you can get a hold of them they can send you one. Mine rattles, most do I believe, but has not un-latched itself.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:54 AM
JK Freak

Here's that piece you need. Same thing happened to me I contacted them via phone call and they sent it for free.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3617649417.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	560810  
Old 06-20-2014, 03:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cthulhucometh
Anyone on here have or had a SRC or an XRC bumper? If so, how well did it hold up?
I have the front stinger and the xrc rear, that are both great for being smittybilt. I've had great luck with my tire carrier, it closes fairly easy and doesn't rattle.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1439517488.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	560811  
Old 06-20-2014, 06:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

E AutoGrille FTW!

Quick Reply: Smittybilt bumpers