Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Snow tires

Old 10-14-2009, 05:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow tires

Which is the best looking and working snow tread for the wrangler? I had on the sahara bridgestone dueler a/ts and they stuck damn good but only lasted about 30k. I am thinking about buying another set of those but I want a more aggressive look since I put on an ARB bumper and don't want little sahara tires if you know what I mean.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-14-2009, 06:03 PM
JK Freak

Deep snow? or Ice/thin snow?
Old 10-14-2009, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

All snow, going up to the mtn driving on roads snow so packed snow with possible mix of ice. Deep snow for fun but don't need to have the capablility. Do M/ts do alright in snow with their big lugs? I see pictures of them in snow but not sure how they do

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=30966&page=3 The first picture
Old 10-14-2009, 08:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mud Tires do decent in deep snow. MT's that have sipes do far better. If you plan on driving in snow that is on roads a lot, I would suggest going with a half and half tire. A tire with lots of sipes, but also with some decent tread spacing.

Personally I use the Cooper S/T and have been extremely happy with them. I feel like I respond to every post asking about snow tires, but only because I have been extremely happy with these.

I have a long (150 yards) fairly steep (goes up approx 100ft or so in elevation) driveway and have gone up it in just over 2ft of snow. It didn't even slow down. On my ability to stop on hard pack on the roads is also very good.

The STT also does very well in the snow. Bit better for deep stuff than the hard pack. One of the Jeep sin the photo from that post you linked has STT's.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:40 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Check out the Dunlop Rover MT Maxx Traction.

M/T tire that looks more like an over-aggressive A/T, and they have the Severe Weather seal of approval for snow and ice. Great price compared to most of the other M/T's out there. ($181 for 315/75/16's.)

Still waiting to see some user pics and reviews of these...

Last edited by nthinuf; 10-14-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fighterpilotmav
All snow, going up to the mtn driving on roads snow so packed snow with possible mix of ice. Deep snow for fun but don't need to have the capablility. Do M/ts do alright in snow with their big lugs? I see pictures of them in snow but not sure how they do

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=30966&page=3 The first picture
M/Ts are horrible in ice.

How much snow are you dealing with? If you're dealing with a lot of snow and ice I'd recommend a dedicated snow tire. If you're dealing with a moderate amount something like the Duratrac would fit the bill nicely. They have an aggressive look and they have the snow flake symbol.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:00 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Atl JK
M/Ts are horrible in ice.

How much snow are you dealing with? If you're dealing with a lot of snow and ice I'd recommend a dedicated snow tire. If you're dealing with a moderate amount something like the Duratrac would fit the bill nicely. They have an aggressive look and they have the snow flake symbol.
MT's without sipes are horrible on ice. Siped MT's are significantly better. Not as good as a blizzack or the like. But blizzacks suck in really deep snow.

I have heard good things about those Dunlops. I was tempted to go with them myself. They have a lot of sipes so should do well.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I need to get my Rubicon BFG M/Ts siped. They're horrible.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Goodyear Duratracs are rated 10/10 in snow.

Quebec passed a law that all vehicles have to have snow tires on in the winter....these tires meet those standards.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:14 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Stuka

The STT also does very well in the snow. Bit better for deep stuff than the hard pack. One of the Jeep sin the photo from that post you linked has STT's.

I can say honestly....the Cooper STT tires suck arse on wet, slushy snow and especially ice conditions.....the ESP would kick in like crazy and ABS would be working overtime to stop the JK at stop lights or stop signs when it's iced over! The problem with the STT's for winter is the harder rubber compound and very little sipping!

If you are considering a true winter tire softer rubber compound and lots of sipping...but not really aggressive looking...but gets the job done in snow & ice and cooler temps is the Cooper Discoverer M&S and add studs if you really want to stop good on ice!

Quick Reply: Snow tires