Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so i got an issue with tires.....

Old 12-21-2016, 12:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so i got an issue with tires.....

i won 5 in a contest - but i never heard of the place- Interco tire co?

what;s worse is I am new, had the jeep for 8 months and it is still stock.

not going into the size issue- i realize that goes hand in hand with the lift- my problem is looking at the Interco site i get confused over the tread designs

since i drive the jeep on -road i think the irok nd would be good, but i only picked that one because the tread looked close to the stock wheels on my 2015 willy's

not going to ask if the tires are any good- i get 5 anyway

but a basic understanding of swamper bogger and the other treads would be helpful

thanks

paul
Old 12-21-2016, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

Interco makes the Super Swamper's... not a bad tire at all!
Old 12-21-2016, 01:05 PM
JK Newbie

The super swampers and boggers will clear mud out of the tires better than some of the others treads like the iroks.
They are also noisier on the road and will most likely wear faster.

Since you are doing a lot of on road miles, I think the Irok NDs would be a good choice.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by praack
i won 5 in a contest - but i never heard of the place- Interco tire co?

what;s worse is I am new, had the jeep for 8 months and it is still stock.

not going into the size issue- i realize that goes hand in hand with the lift- my problem is looking at the Interco site i get confused over the tread designs

since i drive the jeep on -road i think the irok nd would be good, but i only picked that one because the tread looked close to the stock wheels on my 2015 willy's

not going to ask if the tires are any good- i get 5 anyway

but a basic understanding of swamper bogger and the other treads would be helpful

thanks

paul

Oh sure, NOW you tell me!

Interco makes great tires. Interco was one of the first companies to make a serious off-road tire, and they still have a reputation for that, although they also make some milder tread patterns these days. If you hear someone talk about "swampers", they are probably referring to Interco Super Swampers.

Tires are always a compromise between off-road performance and highway performance. Generally, the more aggressive the tread, the better they will perform off-road, and the milder the tread, the better they will perform on pavement. You have to choose where you fall on that scale.

I've owned TRXUS MT radials and Super Swamper TSL radials on my previous Jeeps, and have watched Iroks and Boggers do amazing things on crazy trails. (Once watched a Cherokee on relatively small, 31" Boggers climb up a wall in Moab that no other Jeep could, simply because of their insane traction. It then winched the rest of us up! There's just no way that guy wanted to drive pavement on Boggers!)

If you really want something else, you can always choose 5 Intercos and sell them and use that money toward what you want.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The m16 may have been a better choice for your use....they're also making another all terrain style tire. The trxus sts was a great sand tire, also made (remotely) by Interco.

They're good tires and you'll get awesome traction, enjoy the rubbers.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have ran different types of super swamper tires. The SSR's were my favorite, handled great on and offroad, lasted a while and looked great. The boggers to me, are stricly offroad tires, they wear out way too quick and too loud to run everyday. The M-16 would probably be the best choice as far as an all terrain tire, but I have never ran them. The Thornbird's are horrible in the mud. The thread pattern is too close together for them to stay clean. I did run a set on a Bronco once and they looked great, but the handling was marginal on wet roads. Ran a set of the TSL's on a Toyota and they road like crap. Would never own another set if they saw the highway. The Iroc is another good tire, they didn't handle as good as the SSR's, but close, wore a little quicker. If i were to go out and buy a new set depending on my driving, I would either go with the SSR or the M-16. All that being said, I have not ran anything, but Nitto for the last 10 years, some things may have changed. This is just the experience I've had with them in the past.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:34 AM
JK Newbie

Default hhmm good information

Thanks Guys,

what i needed

paul
Old 12-22-2016, 12:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

ran swampers back in the 70s. They were beasts! Both in traction and lack of driveability. But this was along time ago and they weren't even radials back then. Company has been around for a LONG time.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Trxus M/T all the way. Don't bother with the other stuff. For a rig that is going to see light wheeling and mostly street driving the Trxus M/T's are perfect. They are the only Interco Tire that you'll get any life out of and they actually work extremely well. I didn't look to see where you live, but the M/T's are beast's in the snow. The Irok's are probably the best all around performing offroad tire but good luck getting 20K miles out of them.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IROCs... Few guys up here use them.. They work as good in snow as they do in Mud..

Quick Reply: so i got an issue with tires.....