Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soft brake pedal after SS brake line installation

Old 06-18-2013, 11:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft brake pedal after SS brake line installation

I've done dozens of brake jobs and swapped to SS lines on plenty of other vehicles but this one has me baffled. I swapped to a set of crown SS brake lines and made sure the fluid reservoir didn't run low and then bled them using the pump-hold-crack bleeder method. Yet I still have a soft brake pedal and while I checked for leaks (cleaned everything real good with brake cleaner, sat and held pressure for about 2 minutes continuous and then checked all joints for fluid moisture).

I've bled them 3x and while it got a little better still WAY softer than it was before I started. I've read about the ABS bleed but I didn't remove anything "up stream" from it nor did the reservoir run even close to low so I can't imagine I have air trapped up there.

Any ideas before I try and find a scan tool to engage the ABS pump and bleed it that way? I'm really wanting to drive this thing now that it's got more altitude!
Old 06-18-2013, 11:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default lines

I think my JK has this issue. I didn't like the brake line relocation brackets, so I put on some crown brake lines as well. they are stiffer than the rubber stock, so why do they feel mushier?

It may all be in my head, I bled the brakes 2x, and the 2nd time not a bit of air in them (first time there was as the calipers drained out all over my garage floor, and the new lines were obviously empty).

I feel like mine are softer now too!
Old 06-18-2013, 03:22 PM
Former Vendor

While you are bleeding it try to tap on the side of the caliper with a hammer. It is possible that an air bubble is stuck in the caliper and the shock from the hammer will jar it loose while bleeding.

In theory a set of stainless lines will actually increase the pedal feel because they do not expand like the rubber lines do.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Default yea

I get the theory; however this AM mine sure felt mushy... :-/

Bleed twice now. after driving as well, so I'd hope all the air would have been removed...
Old 06-19-2013, 04:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
I think my JK has this issue. I didn't like the brake line relocation brackets, so I put on some crown brake lines as well. they are stiffer than the rubber stock, so why do they feel mushier?

It may all be in my head, I bled the brakes 2x, and the 2nd time not a bit of air in them (first time there was as the calipers drained out all over my garage floor, and the new lines were obviously empty).

I feel like mine are softer now too!
X2 on that! I did the crowns and bled them twice. Definitly a softer pedal now.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:44 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

I prefer putting a hose on the fitting and the other end in a glass jar with clean fluid,then open the fitting
Old 06-19-2013, 06:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Default well

I'm 'glad' i'm not the only one.

I did the tube to a clean container w/new fluid as well. Trust me, there is no air.

I don't like this softer pedal.

before I felt I had real power to stop the jeep.

If I knew this was going to happen, I'd have kept the OEM ones!

what can / should we do to fix it?!

I'm not all that happy now... these were not cheap.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well well... seems the gremlins are back lol...

what year is your jeeps with the soft brakes? I have an 07 that last week the pedal was "way soft" i have changed many a brakes and assumed it was time for a brake change but it was not, there has been nothing done to my jeeps brakes. the pedal just went soft.. I thought maybe a vacuum leak or a fluid leak I cant find one anywhere...

It holds pressure with a very stiff pedal with engine off...
It holds pressure with a very mushy pedal with engine running....(though stops very near floor)

I'm assuming....air has gotten in the brake system somehow and will have to bleed them and see....but i doubt it unless something came loose in which that would then leak fluid...
Any ideas let me know...
Old 06-19-2013, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

WOW - didn't know this was such a common problem....

I've tried various ways of getting the air (presumably it's air) out - bleeding the regular pump way, using a mity-vac to suck the fluid, haven't tried the tube in a jar of fluid gravity bleed, but I can't see that working any better than sucking it out.

I'm going to try and get a scantool that will do the ABS pump cycle and re-bleed - can't imagine HOW the air got up there, but there might be some there somehow. Will report back if that makes it better.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Default soft pedal

This issue this thread was written around is the addition of the Crown extended brake lines.

your issue may be similar in symptoms, but we actually changed something on the jeep.

I don't think my 2012 had something 'else' go wrong in the exact same day that this occurred...

sadly, I do not have the OEM lines any more, else I may have just gone back to them...

I personally think the relocation brackets are a bad idea, and just make me feel wrong.

I planned for a more flexible suspension soon and wanted the longer lines.

Perhaps I should call the company I bought them from today and see what they think.

I emailed the company I bought them from a link to this thread and explained the issue.

we shall see what happens.

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; 06-19-2013 at 10:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Soft brake pedal after SS brake line installation