Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare Tire Mount Mod

Old 06-14-2011, 04:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare Tire Mount Mod

Okay here is the questions. Will a 295/75R16 mud terrain fit on the stock tire carrier with stock rims without spacers or adapters?

I assume it will not fit as I am guessing it will hit the 3rd brake light. But this makes me wonder, why do people not cut off the 3rd brake light and trim the factory bump stops? This way the tire is not on a spacer or a rim with less backspacing and therefore is closer to the tailgate and thus will have less leverage action on the weak tailgate.

I mean there is several people saying yes a 33"ish tire is fine on stock carrier. Others are saying no it will wreck tailgate or hinges.

I just have not seen anyone cut that third brake light off so the extra width of the wheel just sits closer to the back window.

Any help is always appreciated. The tires in question will be the Hankook Dynapro MT's in a 295/75R16 size.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:28 AM
JK Freak

Before I installed my OR Fab tire carrier, I had my 35" tire mounted on the stock carrier. I had to use the MBRP relocation bracket to get the tire to fit as it hit the bumper and would not mount at all. I left the chmsl in place, but you couldn't see it. It didnt actually get in the way, but did provide a cushion that the tire rested against. I didn't have any bend in the tailgate, but you could tell it was too heavy. Some guys run it for years like that, but I want to keep my tailgate in good shape.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:30 AM
JK Super Freak

I have a 37/12.5/17 BFG km2 hanging off the back of my stock carrier. Been that way for over a year and my hinges are fine. The tire just barely clears the light. You can't see the light anymore though. I'll try and get a pic later.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:31 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

There are folks who move the third taillight. And I'm not certain that it's trimming the bumpstops that is the problem. I think its the stock bumper--only so large a tire can fit into that notch in it. I mounted 33s and the third taillight was fine. I had 4.5" BS wheels, so it didn't touch the bumpstops. At that time the Daystars did not exist, so I used a piece of radiator hose over the stock bumpstops to extend out so the tire made contact. It worked fine.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbyspaghetti
Okay here is the questions. Will a 295/75R16 mud terrain fit on the stock tire carrier with stock rims without spacers or adapters?

I assume it will not fit as I am guessing it will hit the 3rd brake light. But this makes me wonder, why do people not cut off the 3rd brake light and trim the factory bump stops? This way the tire is not on a spacer or a rim with less backspacing and therefore is closer to the tailgate and thus will have less leverage action on the weak tailgate.

I mean there is several people saying yes a 33"ish tire is fine on stock carrier. Others are saying no it will wreck tailgate or hinges.

I just have not seen anyone cut that third brake light off so the extra width of the wheel just sits closer to the back window.

Any help is always appreciated. The tires in question will be the Hankook Dynapro MT's in a 295/75R16 size.
It's not the size that counts. It's how you use it! Oh wait. That belongs in another forum.

Seriously, the extra weight will eventualy damage the hinge.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ive had a 35 on my stock carrier for 3 years now with a stock rim... No issues at all. Moved my brake light to inside the wheel though...

Old 06-14-2011, 08:13 PM
JK Newbie

You could always go with homemade tire carrier.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2315252486.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	171922  

Quick Reply: Spare Tire Mount Mod