Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spare Tire Spacer That Does NOT Raise the Spare??

Old 05-03-2011, 07:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Spare Tire Spacer That Does NOT Raise the Spare??

First off, spare me the comments that I'm going to bust my tailgate unless I buy a $1,000 tire carrier. I understand the risks and this is a temporary fix until the funds are available to get something better. The bank account is drained after lift and tires.

Now...the question: Can anyone recommend a spacer for the stock tire carrier that simply spaces out the mounting surface? I don't want to raise it up. I thought I had found one and bought it from 4WD.com, but the pictures were apparently deceiving. It's about to be returned. What I really need is a wheel spacer, but I don't want to spend $100 if I can avoid it.

Suggestions?
Old 05-03-2011, 07:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a pair of cheapo wheel spacers off ebay for like 50 bucks and sell the other one to someone on the forum.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:38 AM
JK Junkie

Is your tire hitting something or just wont sit back far enough to mount on studs ?I'm trying to picture what your trying to get at on the carrier...
Old 05-03-2011, 07:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about tossing the spare in the back of your JK until you can swing the cost of the new rear bumper? I don't know how much you use that space personally, but it's a free option.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Buy backspaced wheels, mine are 4.5" and my 37" fits fine on the stock carrier
Old 05-03-2011, 10:03 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
From what I understand you can call Spidertrax directly and order a single spacer. Or even order a single spacer from eBay.
Even than its 50 bucks for a single spacer. I would still prefer to buy a pair of crap spacers for 50 and sell one of for like 20 bucks
Old 05-03-2011, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D_engel
Buy a pair of cheapo wheel spacers off ebay for like 50 bucks and sell the other one to someone on the forum.
get a cheap set off ebay and ill pick up the 2nd one from you. im in need of one too
Old 05-03-2011, 06:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Battlefrog
Is your tire hitting something or just wont sit back far enough to mount on studs ?I'm trying to picture what your trying to get at on the carrier...
It won't sit back far enough to get the studs through.

The new wheels option would work, but that ranks up there with buying a bumper in terms of $$$.

I'm surprised no vendors make a bracket that pushes the wheel straight out, instead of out and up. I guess the eBay wheel spacer option would work, but I was hoping for less hassle.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

what size tires?
Old 05-03-2011, 07:16 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by firejeep508

It won't sit back far enough to get the studs through.

The new wheels option would work, but that ranks up there with buying a bumper in terms of $$$.

I'm surprised no vendors make a bracket that pushes the wheel straight out, instead of out and up. I guess the eBay wheel spacer option would work, but I was hoping for less hassle.
You could always grind out a groove in the tire carrier....

Quick Reply: Spare Tire Spacer That Does NOT Raise the Spare??