Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spartan Locker Install

Old 12-19-2016, 11:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spartan Locker Install

Alright, everyone. I decided that I'm sick of crawling the mall and bought myself a Spartan locker (Part #: SL D30-27). I'm not unsure of my ability to install this kind of thing (But tips are totally welcome), I just wanted to see if anyone had fitment issues with this particular locker. I read a few reviews that said people had to purchase new carriers to get the locker to fit properly, but they all had 2010 year model JK's. I saw another few reviews with 2013+ JK's, and these guys said that they didn't need a new carrier. A little advice from someone wiser than I?
Old 12-20-2016, 03:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WyattO1759
Alright, everyone. I decided that I'm sick of crawling the mall and bought myself a Spartan locker (Part #: SL D30-27). I'm not unsure of my ability to install this kind of thing (But tips are totally welcome), I just wanted to see if anyone had fitment issues with this particular locker. I read a few reviews that said people had to purchase new carriers to get the locker to fit properly, but they all had 2010 year model JK's. I saw another few reviews with 2013+ JK's, and these guys said that they didn't need a new carrier. A little advice from someone wiser than I?
The locker is the carrier. Unless it's somehow not able to accept the ring gear, which would be quite the treat.

What's your stock axle ratio? That's your answer.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sa29560
The locker is the carrier. Unless it's somehow not able to accept the ring gear, which would be quite the treat.

What's your stock axle ratio? That's your answer.
It's just a lunch box locker, it only replaces the spider gears. I had 3.73:1's, but I regeared to 4.88:1's so that I don't lose power with my big tires. In theory, all I have to do is pull the spider gears and replace them with the locker. I shouldn't have even have to pull the ring gear.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WyattO1759
It's just a lunch box locker, it only replaces the spider gears. I had 3.73:1's, but I regeared to 4.88:1's so that I don't lose power with my big tires. In theory, all I have to do is pull the spider gears and replace them with the locker. I shouldn't have even have to pull the ring gear.
I would imagine it's identical to an Aussie. If that's the case; and I cannot remember for 100% certainty, but I think it was only the front that I had to pull the ring gear to install.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

If it's a lunch box locker like the Aussie which I believe it is you do not have to mess with the R&P.
Just have to replace the spyder gears with the new locker inside the stock case.

Just keep in mind they do click going around corners.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MacRubi2
If it's a lunch box locker like the Aussie which I believe it is you do not have to mess with the R&P. Just have to replace the spyder gears with the new locker inside the stock case. Just keep in mind they do click going around corners.
Actually on a jk Dana 30 you have to remove the ring gear as there is not enough clearance to fit the axle gears nor cam gears into the carrier with it still installed.
This is a very simple process as you simply remove the carrier bolts, clean their threads as well as the carrier threads out, install the locker, reinstall the ring gear (it should be a press fit, if you don't have a press place the ring gear in the over for a bit and it should slip on) then reinstall the ring gear bolts with red lock tight in a star pattern ensuring to torque them to 80 ft lbs. I believe it is recommended to replace the ring gear bolts rather than re-use them, but i know many who haven't.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
Actually on a jk Dana 30 you have to remove the ring gear as there is not enough clearance to fit the axle gears nor cam gears into the carrier with it still installed.
This is a very simple process as you simply remove the carrier bolts, clean their threads as well as the carrier threads out, install the locker, reinstall the ring gear (it should be a press fit, if you don't have a press place the ring gear in the over for a bit and it should slip on) then reinstall the ring gear bolts with red lock tight in a star pattern ensuring to torque them to 80 ft lbs. I believe it is recommended to replace the ring gear bolts rather than re-use them, but i know many who haven't.
Did not no you had to remove the ring gear on a JK 30.

I did one on a 30 in an XJ and didn't have to.

Good to know and thanks for the information 👍
Old 12-22-2016, 01:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

put a Spartan in the front of my tj. Couldn't stand it. You could feel it all the time when you drove on the street in 2wd. In 4wd on icy roads it was absolutely terrible. Id suggest you save a bit more and buy a tru trac or equivalent.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

put a Spartan in the front of my tj. Couldn't stand it. Took it out after the first winter. You could feel it all the time when you drove on the street in 2wd. In 4wd on icy roads it was absolutely terrible. Id suggest you save a bit more and buy a tru trac or equivalent.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:22 AM
JK Super Freak

I've never once been able to feel nor really hear the one in my front. Also I'm not sure how you guys do it but the people I know, including myself, don't drive around in 4WD because there's a little snow or ice on the ground. Usually you stay in 2wd until 4WD is needed. I've had absolutely no problems with mine.

Quick Reply: Spartan Locker Install