Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spartan Locker Install

Old 12-22-2016, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where I live we don't get a "little bit of snow and ice" Ive got a full time 4x4 mode on my Silverado and its engaged probably 3 months out of the year. [QUOTE=Chuck
Old 12-22-2016, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just for an example theres a retired air force base about 30 miles from here that GM and a lot of the major tire companys use for winter testing.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lloydsmale
Just for an example theres a retired air force base about 30 miles from here that GM and a lot of the major tire companys use for winter testing.
The ops bio says Texas.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

then he sure shouldn't be conserned about driving in the snow
Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
The ops bio says Texas.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
Actually on a jk Dana 30 you have to remove the ring gear as there is not enough clearance to fit the axle gears nor cam gears into the carrier with it still installed.
This is a very simple process as you simply remove the carrier bolts, clean their threads as well as the carrier threads out, install the locker, reinstall the ring gear (it should be a press fit, if you don't have a press place the ring gear in the over for a bit and it should slip on) then reinstall the ring gear bolts with red lock tight in a star pattern ensuring to torque them to 80 ft lbs. I believe it is recommended to replace the ring gear bolts rather than re-use them, but i know many who haven't.
If you remove the ring gear make sure you mark it so it goes back on in the same place.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by lloydsmale
then he sure shouldn't be conserned about driving in the snow
Lol what's snow? Incase anyone cares to know, I got it installed and filled the diff with 80w-90 Lucas oil and she works gangbusters. Not a peep from it on the street in 2x4, and when I put it in 4x4 it locks immediately. When I go back to 2x4 it disengages exactly like it should. All the tolerances are in spec and all is right in the world. I don't know why I didn't do this sooner!
Old 12-25-2016, 08:56 AM
JK Newbie

I installed an Aussie in the front and it wasn't to bad. Just remember to mark everything caps, ring gear position. If you can find a pictured blow by blow instruction on Internet. It will help you 100%. I did
Old 12-25-2016, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Strider
If you remove the ring gear make sure you mark it so it goes back on in the same place.
This step seems unnecessary. I replaced spiders in my d44 rear and there's no voodoo magic to it. The Spartan locker is obviously the same.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
This step seems unnecessary. I replaced spiders in my d44 rear and there's no voodoo magic to it. The Spartan locker is obviously the same.
He was talking about marking the ring gear's position on the carrier before removal of it. The spiders fit out of the carrier on the Dana 44 so the ring gear need not be removed. Either way, it does seem kind of unnecessary but doesn't hurt anything.
Old 12-25-2016, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I had to pull the ring to replace spiders in the 44. The pin wouldn't come out to release the cross shaft without pulling the ring. The kit came with new bolts for the ring as well. Doing that business and replacing inner axle seals brings me a step closer to wanting to DIY regear.

Quick Reply: Spartan Locker Install