Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spartan Locker Install

Old 12-25-2016, 07:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I had to pull the ring to replace spiders in the 44. The pin wouldn't come out to release the cross shaft without pulling the ring. The kit came with new bolts for the ring as well. Doing that business and replacing inner axle seals brings me a step closer to wanting to DIY regear.
We were going to try and DIY regear a friend's JK this past week, but I tell you what, that's a pain in the ass. Without the right tools, it's especially stressful. Not to mention if you're going to try and regear your daily driver by yourself. If I was big dick swangin' and I had a hydraulic press and some other odds and ends, it may have gone differently, but it's pretty tedious. I just took it like a champ and shelled out for the regear. Definitely worth it! I get almost 20mpg on the highway again!
Old 12-26-2016, 02:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WyattO1759
We were going to try and DIY regear a friend's JK this past week, but I tell you what, that's a pain in the ass. Without the right tools, it's especially stressful. Not to mention if you're going to try and regear your daily driver by yourself. If I was big dick swangin' and I had a hydraulic press and some other odds and ends, it may have gone differently, but it's pretty tedious. I just took it like a champ and shelled out for the regear. Definitely worth it! I get almost 20mpg on the highway again!
Just a side note, you can get a 12 or 20 ton press at harbor freight for $150-$200. Not only is it a great tool to have period, it works great for this application.
Old 12-26-2016, 03:41 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You'll use that same press when you have to install new bearings in the rear or if your axle shaft is stuck in the end of the hub.

I've got a press and it's one of those that you don't think about until you need it.
Old 12-26-2016, 03:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

QUOTE=Chuck-The-Ripper;4268491]Just a side note, you can get a 12 or 20 ton press at harbor freight for $150-$200. Not only is it a great tool to have period, it works great for this application.[/QUOTE]

Damn, for that price I think I'm gonna have to go for it.

Originally Posted by karls10jk
You'll use that same press when you have to install new bearings in the rear or if your axle shaft is stuck in the end of the hub.

I've got a press and it's one of those that you don't think about until you need it.
I have a G2 axleshaft for the rear on the drivers side, but the other one is sitting in my shop because I don't have a press. Guess I'm gonna have to get on that.

Quick Reply: Spartan Locker Install