Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Squeaking noise when I turn the steering wheel to the left...

Old 04-22-2010, 10:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id say check your Steering pump. Sounds like it could be your steering pump or box. Mine did that before it went Kaput!
Old 04-22-2010, 02:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

On the first day of Drummond Isle Jeep Jamboree. I gave my gas tank skid/trans cross member a tough beating...my first JK trail experience. Once off the trail, the same problem you had, started happening on my JK...at first, high pitch noise then metal to metal scrapping sound (something rotating/scraping on something). Only would happen on Left turns...even happens when doing slight lefts (ie getting onto the left lane.). Also, no fluid leaks
After a few hours of looking, I still had no idea of what/where the noise is coming from.
I decided to take a break...came out from under the JK, and started to look her over. I muttered "damn your muddy...you got my ass dirty...lol." Then thinking/or the JK saying "Look for a clean metal area dumb ass!!" So me, being the dumb ass crawls under the JK. 15 mins later, I find the T-Case Flange (found a nice shiny area on the corner part of the flange) of the rear drive shaft hitting a reinforced plating on the gas tank skid plate (front left, err...see pics below). I guess this reinforced plating 'pealed' away from the gas tank skid and placed it very close to the DS flange. As I made left turns, the powertrain flexed enough to push the DS flange onto the plating. I took the JK to a shop to fix it (ie heavy hammer pound here on X spot.)

Sorry for the long story . This may or may not be causing your problem, but check the area just in case...

Old 04-30-2010, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

still cant find out what is causing the noise when I turn to the left
Old 05-26-2010, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

still got the squeaks...on the left side of my jeep...might be brakes not sure
Old 07-16-2010, 08:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

anyone know what it might be..would my ball joints be going bad to cause the squeaky when i turn to the left?????
Old 07-16-2010, 09:51 AM
JK Freak

Have you checked your U-joint? They will squeak if they loose their grease.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:39 PM
JK Newbie

I hit a rock..ok lots of rocks...at a couple Jeep Jams this year. I put a dent in my steering stabilizer, and rotated the left side mounting bracket (for lack of a better term at the moment) upwards. The bolt through the steering stabilizer was contacting the drag link (?) and making a squeaking sound sometimes when I turned or hit just the right bump.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

This noise is happening no matter how much I turn to the left.....any others ideas.....

ex. a rolling squeak while moving turning to the left
Old 07-08-2011, 09:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jgoard15
This noise is happening no matter how much I turn to the left.....any others ideas.....

ex. a rolling squeak while moving turning to the left
Help! I have the same problem. Did you find the source? It's a rolling squeak I hear at slow speeds when I'm turning (left or right). It's too faint to hear when I'm going down the road, only in parking lots and such do I hear it.

...I realize this thread is a year old...
Old 03-14-2012, 06:58 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKagermeister
Help! I have the same problem. Did you find the source? It's a rolling squeak I hear at slow speeds when I'm turning (left or right). It's too faint to hear when I'm going down the road, only in parking lots and such do I hear it.

...I realize this thread is a year old...
I have the same thing exactly going on. Any ideas before I tear into it?

Quick Reply: Squeaking noise when I turn the steering wheel to the left...