Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Standard aftermarket or adjustable ball joints?

Old 04-16-2011, 05:57 PM
cfr
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standard aftermarket or adjustable ball joints?

Confirmed bad ball joints based on play. Here's what we got on the alignment rack,

Camber: Left -0.5deg Right -0.9deg

Should I replace them with standard aftermarket or adjustable ball joints.

The Dynatrac Prosteers are probably out of my price range (and not adjustable, right?). Probably NAPA or Moog.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:16 PM
JK Freak

Default Dynatrac all the way

I know you said these are probably out of your price ranger but I think you need to highly consider doing what it takes to put these in. If you want to replace your ball joints over and over then go for it, but with the Dynatracs you get the piece of mind that once you have them you will never have to worry about replacing ball joints again. They are an excellent upgrade and you will be surprised how good your steering feels. IMHO they are one of those upgrades that youll never regret not to mention Dynatrac stands behind their product and will help you out if you have any problems.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:37 PM
cfr
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 07JKDakotaEd
IMHO they are one of those upgrades that youll never regret not to mention Dynatrac stands behind their product and will help you out if you have any problems.
I know they are the best. I'm having a hard time believing that there's nothing that lasts longer than the stock part other than the Dynatrac.

Last edited by cfr; 04-16-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:05 PM
cfr
JK Freak

Bonus questions...

I just found this out today and leave on Tuesday night for the Easter Jeep Safari in Moab.

Given that,

1. How critical is it that I replace these before the trip?

2. If it's critical, I'm stuck with sourcing parts locally. Recommendations given that constraint?
Old 04-16-2011, 08:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cfr
I know they are the best. I'm having a hard time believing that there's nothing that lasts longer than the stock part other than the Dynatrac.
Are you installing ball joints your self or taking it to a shop? If you take it to a shop the labor will be high; do you want to pay this twice? I did mine myself and this required stripping the front spindel down completely including removing the axles.......can't say I want to do this again soon and pay for another allignment check.....with that said I am in a situation where I did not have the money either. However with a repair like this I opted to do it once. Good luck!
Old 04-16-2011, 08:36 PM
JK Jedi

If you do the install yourself, you'll save enough for the prosteers. In other words, labor costs at a shop would buy the prosteers. Rent the tool from Autozone and about 6 hours. Follow this write-up:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ac+ball+joints
Old 04-17-2011, 06:57 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

I've seen some pretty bad ball joints that never came apart.

Put the ball joint repair on the back burner for now, and enjoy your trip.
Replacing the ball joints now may mushroom into other problems, such as front axle shaft seal damage.

Decide on which ball joints you want when you get back.

Quick Reply: Standard aftermarket or adjustable ball joints?