Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Starting a full lighting upgrade... Have a few questions.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting a full lighting upgrade... Have a few questions.

I am planning on fully upgrading the lighting on my jeep (Most of my driving is at night) and have a few questions before i get started.

First off I'll tell you the plan as of now,

- 55W 6000k Hid fog and headlights (DDM Tuning)
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W

- Superbrightleds.com dome lights, But I haven't decided which of these 2 styles (30 led or 9 led)
Search Results For "578" | Festoon Base Bulbs | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs

- Superbrightleds.com License place light
194 LED Bulb - 15 SMD LED Wedge Base Tower | LED Landscape Lighting | Super Bright LEDs

- Superbrightleds.com Reverse and brake lights
3157 LED Bulb - Dual Intensity 45 SMD LED Tower | LED Brake Light, Turn Light and Tail Light Bulbs | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs

Eventually I plan on getting Windshield hinge lights (havn't really decided on leds or hid yet)

On the Hid kits will the optional error eliminator work to stop flicker issues?
Do I need anything other than what the kit comes with?
Would I be better off getting the h4 housing conversion then upgrading to hid?

I just want to make sure all the led interior and rear lights will be pretty much plug and play and make sure there will be no other issues.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:46 PM
JK Newbie

Oh, and are all these products decent quality?

(sorry for the double post)
Old 10-13-2012, 09:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Checkout vleds.com I got my front two dome lights (194's) from there an they are painfully bright!!! They are flat also and made to shine the light at a 180 degree angle which is what you need in the front. And I got my rear dome light from Oracle... But two bulbs were 44$... But I'm very satisfied with them.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hamrickac
I am planning on fully upgrading the lighting on my jeep (Most of my driving is at night) and have a few questions before i get started.

- Superbrightleds.com dome lights, But I haven't decided which of these 2 styles (30 led or 9 led)
Search Results For "578" | Festoon Base Bulbs | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs

194 LED Bulb - 15 SMD LED Wedge Base Tower | LED Landscape Lighting | Super Bright LEDs

3157 LED Bulb - Dual Intensity 45 SMD LED Tower | LED Brake Light, Turn Light and Tail Light Bulbs | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs

Eventually I plan on getting Windshield hinge lights (havn't really decided on leds or hid yet)

On the Hid kits will the optional error eliminator work to stop flicker issues?
Do I need anything other than what the kit comes with?
Would I be better off getting the h4 housing conversion then upgrading to hid?

I just want to make sure all the led interior and rear lights will be pretty much plug and play and make sure there will be no other issues.

Thanks in advance.
I would be interested to hear about all this. Sounds like a pretty good upgrade for a good price. What bulbs is it for the headlight HID's?
Old 10-13-2012, 11:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great post and perfect timing...looking to do the same here, soon...
Old 10-14-2012, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hamrickac

-Bulb Size is is H13 from what I have been reading. So it would be the H13/9008 with either just the low beam or the Hi/Low option.

I believe the dome lights are 921 not 578. I could be wrong.

On the Hid kits will the optional error eliminator work to stop flicker issues? Here is what I found on there site. It looks like it helps out with computer issues.

Some cars will generate a bulb out warning message or even turn the headlight/foglights off when connecting HID to them. Our cancellation modules fool the computer in the car and allow the HIDs to work flawlessly. You will receive 2 at this price. These work on 93% of vehicles with computer related issues. NOTE: Certain vehicles will require these to run HID';s properly. ex. Dodges (except Ram), Newer BMW';s & Mercedes etc... Warning: Some vehicles may have reverse polarity. Reverse polarity can cause a BOW to explode. We recommend wearing safety glasses and closing your hood before testing the BOW on your vehicle.

Do I need anything other than what the kit comes with? Mounting brackets and I read somewhere that you will need the harness but I'm not sure if the harness listed will work with the stock JK harness. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Would I be better off getting the h4 housing conversion then upgrading to hid? The bulb is H13 so I don't think the H4 will work either.

Thanks in advance.
Updated with info I found. Hoping all is right.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

For the rear dome the festoon should be a 44x10 bulb. And I'm pretty sure that 921 and 578 bulbs are interchangeable.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I would go with 4300k hid. What's the point in upgrading your lighting when you don't make it brighter. 4300k put out more light and don't annoy the crap out of on comming drivers like the stupid blue lights. And yes 6000k is blue.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Old 10-15-2012, 04:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have u checked out the JW SPEAKER headlights? I I had the cash i'd be getting those in a hurry... The ddm tuning replacements never impressed me, i've had them on other cars. The problem is your housing isn't build for hid, you need projectors for the hid bulbs.

Quick Reply: Starting a full lighting upgrade... Have a few questions.