Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Stay with 17" or change to 15" wheels?

Old 05-05-2011, 03:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stay with 17" or change to 15" wheels?

I'm been looking at tire prices and noticed that the Duratracs I like are $100 cheaper (each) for the 15" version instead of the 17" that fits my stock wheels. The only difference I see in the specs in that the Max Load is higher for the 17" version.

Due to cost, I was planning on keeping my stock wheels but if I can get new wheels AND tires for the same price, well, why wouldn't I?

I've seen a lot of Jeeps with 15s but is it because they were cheap (like I am), because they liked the look, or another reason?

I'd love to hear some feedback on this.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Keep 17" wheels for now and save up for some new ones later on. Some people run into problems with 15" wheels. They rub the brake calipers. An upside to such a tiny rim is more sidewall, which is never a problem!
Old 05-05-2011, 03:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I bought a used lifted jeep X model with 18" incubus rims. They are black and brushed colors. I don't like em cause I have no silver on my jeep to compliment the rims. I wanna get some simple 15" in black. So I'm kinda in the same boat as you. To sell or to keep? That is the question!
Old 05-05-2011, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DGriz
I'm been looking at tire prices and noticed that the Duratracs I like are $100 cheaper (each) for the 15" version instead of the 17" that fits my stock wheels. The only difference I see in the specs in that the Max Load is higher for the 17" version.

Due to cost, I was planning on keeping my stock wheels but if I can get new wheels AND tires for the same price, well, why wouldn't I?

I've seen a lot of Jeeps with 15s but is it because they were cheap (like I am), because they liked the look, or another reason?

I was thinking the same thing so I asked my local tire guy. His recommendation was to not reduce wheel size due to brake size. He did offer to buy my Rubi wheels for $300 towards new 17" wheels however. Keep in mind if you are lifting and going with bigger tires you may need wheel spacers which you will have to figure into the cost if you keep stock wheels. Also aftermarket wheels are wider so you won't get that "bulging" look so much (if it matters). Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look into Kelly Safari TSR's if u want Duratracs.

They are both made by Goodyear and are essentially the same tire but with the Kellys being roughly $100 cheaper a tire.

I just bought a set of 285/70/17s.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:28 PM
JK Freak

If you take advantage of the forum discount and the tread lightly $100 mail in rebate on Goodyear tires, you could score 5 15x8 matte black MB72s and 5 33x12.5x15 Duratracs for around 1250 shipped from Discount Tire. There is a pretty large thread in here about those wheels and I cant recall anyone having any clearance issues with them.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DGriz

I to have this question, i want to get 16 or 15 if possible. I want as little rim as i can.
Or should i just buy the tires now and get a rim later of the same size?
Old 05-05-2011, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I prefer the look of 15s and can't wait till I can get a set. I love the look of a bigger sidewall on a Jeep. I've never understood why some people put 20s on a jeep... looks ridiculous if you ask me. That's just my opinion though.

Anyways, it's all about preference. If you want 15s, there are plenty of 15" wheels that clear the calipers.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where is the poll? 17s
Old 05-05-2011, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I like the look of 15's so I went that route. The MB72's don't seem to be having any clearance issues. I'm not sure if you could get by with more backspacing on a 16 or 17 with a 35" tire. I think I'd personally prefer more if I could because they stick out a fair bit. The MB72's have 3.75" backspacing IIRC. That's all preference though, and we're talking maybe 0.75" difference, tops (I think).

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	new_tires2.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	157767  

Quick Reply: Stay with 17" or change to 15" wheels?