Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering / Handling issues after RC 2.5" bb

Old 10-18-2008, 02:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering / Handling

Hi Everyone,

The vehicle: 2008 4 dr sahara automatic...a daily driver

Thoughts or things to look for?

Thanks

Jay

Last edited by JLowy; 06-12-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:05 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

how much air are you running in your new tires? for 285's or 33's, you should only be running them at about 28-30 psi. if you are running them at 35 or more, this will be too much and will give you some of the flightiness that you are feeling now. however, to really correct this sensation, you will need to add more positive caster to your front axle and to do this, you will need at the very least, a set of adjustable lower front control arms.

BTW, i see that you are in MV. i am in laguna niguel and if you need any help with anything, please let me know.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Curious. Maybe it's a 4-door thing, but I plunked the same lift on my 2-door about 2 weeks ago with 35x12.5's and haven't had any issues at all. Can't corner like a madman anymore without kicking on the ESP, but it cured the road-wandering it had before.

I'm thinking it could be the tire pressure thing.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Throw some pics up if you get a chance. Try messing with your tire PSI
Old 10-20-2008, 07:23 AM
JK Freak

*Bump*
Any update on this? Very curious as I'm plannning the exact same thing.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:29 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JulianK
*Bump*
Any update on this? Very curious as I'm plannning the exact same thing.
honestly, if you have a 4-door, you should be fine. of all the jk's i have lifted and test drove, i can tell you that you are more likely to experience flighty steering with a 2-door. that being said, lowering your tire psi to what it should be will help out a lot.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:42 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tie pressure definately makes a difference, the shop had put 55psi in my 35's. I now run 26-28psi.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

i have a 4 dr with the same lift , no problems here but i did do the same thing with air pressure the company that mounted had over 40lbs and it felt like sh*t i lowered the pressur to about 30lbs and the tire was now flat on the ground instead of only the middle of the tire hitting ( full foot print) it made a big diference... did you adjust your steering wheel back to center mine was off just a lil bit nd it made the jeep take over on some turns that was really weird too , good luck
Old 10-20-2008, 03:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Brings back memories. My '69 had Armstrong Tru-Tracs and at first they "floated" I looked at the tire contact on the ground and it was about the size of a dime. I lowered the tire pressure until I had good contact with the pavement, turned out to be 15 PSI. LOL that solved the problem of having to air down when offroad.

Whenever I had to lock up the tires on pavement it sounded like I was ripping the road surface up. (Like the sound cement trucks make when locked up)

Bottom line? If you have new tires and the steering seems light, or floats a bit, especially when cornering check the air pressure. It just may be too high.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:17 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I'm running the RC 2.5" lift and 33" tires. I did not find that lowering the tire pressure from 40 psi (which the installer put in) to 30 psi provided a return to the original steering feel. It's still too flighty, especially when driving highway speeds on windy days (this is Oklahoma!). I've got adjustable front lower control arms to install and am hoping that this and caster adjustment will give me proper feel in the steering.

Quick Reply: Steering / Handling issues after RC 2.5" bb