Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering, lifts, track bars, and control arms- Need some help.

Old 01-06-2007, 07:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering, lifts, track bars, and control arms- Need some help.

First off, this forum has been great and there is SO much information posted that I am driving myself crazy. I don't know anything about lifts, control arms, etc. The more I read, the more I can't decide on anything. As far as lifts go, it seems as though suspension lifts that come with adjustable control arms and adjustable track bars are the way to go as far as ride quality right? At first I was leaning towards a 3" Full Traction kit because of this- But, I really like the Skyjacker kit because it comes in 4" (and I like the red). The problem though is I am reading that steering can get sloppy. Wayof life quoted before..."As far as the sloppy steering goes, I would recommend against the installation of a dropped pitman arm but rather install an adjustable front track bar instead. This should recenter your axle and get rid of any tracking you are experiencing. If you're Jeep still wanders after that, your caster angle is most likely too close to zero and you'll need a set of adjustable upper contol arms to adjust that back to stock which is 4.2°"

Therefore, I am about to ask some questions (sorry if they sound dumb, but I have no idea what I am talking about)...

I found that Skyjacker makes an adjustable front adjustable track bar....
http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catal...ducts_id/71482

So, as quoted above, if the sloppy steering wasn't fixed by that, try the adjustable upper control arms. But, I cannot find anywhere that says Skyjacker makes the adjustable upper control arms.

Can I buy another brand (Full Traction) and replace the Skyjacker upper control arms that aren't adjustable? If so, is that something you can see on the vehicle once the tires are back on? I am concerned it would be something that looks stupid- like it doesn't go with the rest of the kit. Am I on the right track at all? I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Lindsay
Old 01-06-2007, 08:07 AM
JK Freak

are you set on the 4" for the color or the height ? what size tire are you planing on running 35 or 37 ?

skyjacker dos'nt have any adjustable arms (atleast not yet) but almost all the other companys offering lifts for the JK do offer them although I'm not sure which are actualy shipping at this time. yea you can get the skyjacker kit and add someone elses arms to it. as for the looks of diff color arms the only arms you realy see are the lower arms so as long as the front and rear lower arms are the same color you should look ok...oh yea even a black track bar would look fine with a skyjacker lift....
Old 01-06-2007, 08:13 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey lindsaythomp, 4" of lift is a lot of lift and and at this point, I would probably recommend the installation of a dropped pitman arm as well as the installation of an adjustable front track bar. As far as the Skyjacker kit goes, it does come with new lowers that are most likely longer to compensate for the axle shift you would have otherwise and I'm guessing that they think it'll be enough to not need new adjustable upper control arms. But, if you ask me, the uppers are definitely needed and I think it would be a mistake to not install a set on a lift of this height. Even with new longer lower control arms, your caster will be off a bit and most likely enough to cause wandering on pavement.

Having said all that, the front upper control arms are a bit harder to see as the frame will hide most of them... but, if you get a set from a different company, it will be noticable if it's something you care about. If a 4" lift is really what you want, and if you're still considering a Full Traction kit, I know for a fact that they should have theirs out very soon. If having red components is a must, then Skyjacker is the only one out I know so far that'll fit the bill. I should tell you though that in my circle of friends, Skyjacker lifts aren't exactly the lift of choice if you know what I mean. Certainly, they have been known by other names but, maybe things have changed since the days of TJ.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:56 AM
JK Newbie

[QUOTE=dhoffroad;14598]are you set on the 4" for the color or the height ? what size tire are you planing on running 35 or 37 ?

Well- it's kind of both. I do LOVE the red. At first, I wanted a 3" lift with 35's. I've looked at so many pictures though, that I actually think I want a 4" lift- I just love how it looks. Then I thought, well, with a 4" inch lift you can fit 37's- but then I read somewhere on this forum that you had to do other modifications for them to fit properly. (Atleast I thought I read that somewhere?) I would like to do a 4" with 35's.

It's just that I keep going back and forth- it does seem that the best would be Full Traction from what I've read- any idea when the 4" will be out?
Old 01-06-2007, 10:23 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by lindsaythomp
Well- it's kind of both. I do LOVE the red. At first, I wanted a 3" lift with 35's. I've looked at so many pictures though, that I actually think I want a 4" lift- I just love how it looks. Then I thought, well, with a 4" inch lift you can fit 37's- but then I read somewhere on this forum that you had to do other modifications for them to fit properly. (Atleast I thought I read that somewhere?) I would like to do a 4" with 35's.

It's just that I keep going back and forth- it does seem that the best would be Full Traction from what I've read- any idea when the 4" will be out?
I don't know, I think 4" of lift would be a bit much for just 35's. I have seen multiple 3" JK's on 35's and it looks like the JK was made for that setup.

As far as the Full Traction 4" Ultimate Lift goes, a lot of what's been holding the release of the kit has been delays in components from their suppliers. This kit was supposed to be out already but from what I'm told, it'll probably be more like next month at this point and time.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:10 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
I don't know, I think 4" of lift would be a bit much for just 35's.
I was afraid of that-:sad: I never thought it was possible to become this obsessed with modifying a Jeep :confused: . I don't even have it yet either.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:28 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by lindsaythomp
I was afraid of that-:sad: I never thought it was possible to become this obsessed with modifying a Jeep :confused: . I don't even have it yet either.
Hi lindsaythomp, my name is Eddie and I'm a Jeepaholic - welcome
Old 01-06-2007, 11:48 AM
JK Freak

hi my name is Danny & me too...LOL..

anyway yea I'd think 4 and 35's is prob a little much but it's up to you...

I know sometimes depending on the lift company and the supplier you can get a kit that is bare (no powder coat) and get it powder coated any color you want. I know we have done it for a few trucks that we have lifted. you'll end up paying a little more money over all since usualy the kit still costs the same and then you have the price of getting it powder coated...anyway just thought I'd mention that "option".
Old 01-06-2007, 12:21 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 01-06-2007, 04:23 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't see any reason that you couldn't mix and match. You have to lay on the ground to really see the upper control arms. I personally like to keep everything the same but for no other reason than aesthetics.

Quick Reply: Steering, lifts, track bars, and control arms- Need some help.