Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering linkage

Old 02-01-2017, 03:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering linkage

Just wondering. I was looking at the yeti drag link and tie rods, they look really beefy but wouldn't this move your weak point to the sector shaft? What's the best way to beef up the sector shaft ( new steering box or hydro assist)?
Old 02-01-2017, 03:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, new steering box or hydro assist. PSC has a new HD box coming out next month rated for 37's and no assist.

There are sector shaft braces also. If you are running 35's or smaller and not wheeling in big rocks a sector shaft brace like what synergy makes would probably be sufficient.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:18 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Agree with everything said so far. In general though, I think if you just use your head and not do something completely dumb, you're gonna have a hard time bending that sector shaft. It's definitely possible to do, but I'd bet you're gonna have a good feeling that you are pushing your jeep through some extreme situations prior to bending it....and if you're doing that kind of wheeling, you probably are already thinking about hydro.

I'm on 37s and wheel pretty hard. I've been in a couple pretty precarious situations where I wish I had hydro, but knowing I didn't, I used my head to get out of it without putting unnecessary stress on the steering. Used to have the Synergy brace until I changed track bars and that came off. Kinda seems like a band-aid. If you feel that you need it, you probably should just upgrade the steering box or go hydro instead.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The sector shaft "shouldn't" bend- it should shear off before you hit that point. I'd rather have a weak point lower down the line as opposed to snapping that....then you've got no steering.

I've upgraded the tie rod and drag link so I guess I'll find out what happens when that day comes.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:33 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I look at it like this.....that factory TR is a POS and bends easily, so it really needs to be replaced. That factory DL joint is going to wear out at some point, so may as well replace that with a quality piece. The factory TB needs to be replaced with quality component as well. I'd have to think that is where a lot of people stop as taking the leap to hydro is a bit of a jump that is unnecessary for most.

I guess back to the OP, my point is more that you shouldn't NOT replace your DL or TR just because you're not making the steering box or sector shaft the weak point, but yes, you've hit the nail on the head as far as further solutions. I think in general you can tell if your wheelin' style is going to put some extreme stress on that steering box.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never looked at it that way honestly. I have my name on the preorder list for this though ...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-397794820.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	410.8 KB
ID:	665757  
Old 02-01-2017, 09:12 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Never looked at it that way honestly. I have my name on the preorder list for this though ...
I looked at that thread as well. My initial thought was if I'm going to blow $900 on that, is it better to just go all the way, do hydro, and be done?
Old 02-01-2017, 09:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know PSC says 37's max. Mel Wade is running 40's without a issue. Well a bent stock drag link lol
OP.. PSC is running the new box and Yeti links.

Last edited by kjeeper10; 02-01-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:45 AM
JK Freak

I've never snapped a sector shaft, but have flexed it enough to cause the box to fail and leak out (equally dead, in my case).

Hydro assist is the best bet, as it alleviates a good portion of the stress on the box - assuming you've got a beefy enough tie rod and ends to handle the ram.

...I am greatly intrigued by that new PSC box though; mainly if it's really going to be enough to get locked 37's turning with relative ease. I've got a bum shoulder now, and turning while locked just ain't happening anymore, and really need to get something going on the new jeep. Likely just going to go hydro assist again, but if this box would do an adequate job without the twitchyness, that would certainly be ideal.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:32 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Me too. I'll have a Synergy Sector Shaft kit for sale shortly. Brand new / never installed....

Btw, for the Yeti "no drill" drag link you're running, can those be used as a bottom mount or a high mount?

Quick Reply: Steering linkage