Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

steering setup question

Old 05-04-2011, 05:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question steering setup question

Hey guys,
I am hoping someone might help me make sense out of a steering issue I am having. I don't think I fully understand steering geometries...

Would relocating the front track bar mount without flipping the drag link actually give you bump steer or similar steering issue? I have 3" of lift, and I know I don't need to relocate it, but I had to raise the lower track bar mount location to make it work with my steering stabilizer setup for now. Now, I have a wandering bump steer feeling that is very sketchy on the road at higher speeds.

If I flip the drag link as well, should it eliminate this issue? Could making these steering mods have an adverse effect under 4" of lift? I am planning to go to 4.5" in the near future, so I am hoping I can make it work in the meantime.

Any advice or info that would help me better understand this would super helpful. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:53 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have moved your trackbar outta parralell with your draglink, yes, you'l have bumpsteer. The only way to fix that is with a drop pitman or dragflip to put them back in line.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:57 PM
JK Freak

Ah, ok. Thank you. I assumed that was the issue. But is it fine to flip the drag link and relocate the track bar at only 3" of lift while I wait to put in my 4.5" coils in a few weeks?

Originally Posted by mkjeep
If you have moved your trackbar outta parralell with your draglink, yes, you'l have bumpsteer. The only way to fix that is with a drop pitman or dragflip to put them back in line.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think you'd be fine,one things for sure, your bumpsteer wont go away until you do it. they're prolly a few on here running a flip/relocate kit on 3inches of lift.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:55 AM
JK Freak

So the drag link flip worked perfectly. I'm glad I did it and now have plenty of room to relocate my steering stabilizer back to the left side up and over my tie rod.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MOKOS
So the drag link flip worked perfectly. I'm glad I did it and now have plenty of room to relocate my steering stabilizer back to the left side up and over my tie rod.
nice dude, going big with those coils??

Quick Reply: steering setup question