Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering Stabilizer

Old 07-25-2012, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Stabilizer

In determining what MODs to do to my JK for trails rides I had someone advise me to relocate my steering stabilizer, as it's in a bad place as is. Is this really something that should be done whether I'm ready to wheel or not?
Old 07-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

If your planning on playing on rocks, then yes you will want to. Moderate and easy trails, not so urgent. The good thing is that they are inexpensive, so I would do it eventually anyways
Old 07-25-2012, 03:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
If your planning on playing on rocks, then yes you will want to. Moderate and easy trails, not so urgent. The good thing is that they are inexpensive, so I would do it eventually anyways
Considering Im on my 3rd SS, Id agree. For the price of one you can relocate it and save yourself the hassle and money.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Depends

I don't wheel a lot of rock because they just are not around much where I wheel. However I am on my fourth Steering Stabilizer. Last one was a rock but ones before were trees and stumps and the like. I now have the JKS relocation bracket and hope to never buy another steering stabilizer plus it reinforced my axle side track bar mount. Last one I damaged so bad I had to remove it before I could turn the wheels. I went along time before wrecking my first one but then had a string of bad luck since then. It really is a judgement call lucky they are not too expensive.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Is it an easy DIY or do you recommend taking it to a dealership or mechanic?
Old 07-25-2012, 07:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ruined my stock one the 2nd time wheeling. I've since got the JKS relocation package that mounts the SS above the tie rod. It's an easy mod and can be done at home. You just need to make sure the tie rod mount is in the proper location to prevent the SS from binding when turning left or right. Having an extra pair of eyes makes it easy.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Yeah

I welded mine in so I dont know what the bolt on install would be be like but the weld on was pretty easy. Just mostly prep and making sure you are lined up.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:30 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Easy DIY. Check out the install instructions with the kits.

You don't want this happening but I drove home 120 miles and couldn't even tell it was broken.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3104992013.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	345730  
Old 07-26-2012, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Most of the time you can ditch the bolts package it comes with and just reuse your stock ones. The package that came with the rancho left it loose so I just reused the stock bolts. Helps a lot if you have bigger tires to upgrade it also
Old 07-26-2012, 08:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2010islander
Most of the time you can ditch the bolts package it comes with and just reuse your stock ones. The package that came with the rancho left it loose so I just reused the stock bolts. Helps a lot if you have bigger tires to upgrade it also
So you recommend using the stock bolts with a stock Jeep, and then once I get a lift and tires use the bolts that came with the relocation kit?

Quick Reply: Steering Stabilizer