Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering Stabilizer? Steering Squirrly

Old 03-20-2007, 07:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Stabilizer? Steering Squirrly

I Just Had 4 Inch Superlift Kit Installed. I Had It Aligned And It Does Not Pull To Either Side,but It Seems The Steering Is A Little "squirrly" Would A Steering Stabilizer Fix This? And If So Would It Have To Be Realigned After Installing The Stabilizer?
Note I Have 35 12.50 17 Tires.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:17 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your Jeep has a steering stablizer. It is most likely your caster. I haven't check what your lift comes with. Does it include new or adj. control arms? Does it also come with a new or adj. track bar in the front?
Old 03-20-2007, 10:37 PM
JK Super Freak

The 4" Superlift kit comes with an adjustable front track bar.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:06 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by RedRockJK
The 4" Superlift kit comes with an adjustable front track bar.
Thats a plus, what about control arms?
Old 03-21-2007, 02:34 AM
JK Freak

x2.....caster.....steering stabilizers don't actually "fix" anything....they just make steering more comfortable.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

I could be wrong here but when I first got my stock Sahara, with the Bridgestone Dueler AT's, it also seemed squirrly to me. After getting some wear on the tires it started handling like it should. Has anyone that's already had some mileage on their new larger tires noticed an improvment over time?
Old 03-21-2007, 05:55 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

X3 on caster. With 4" of lift, it is most likley flat or close to it and that's why your ride is the way it is. A new dampener may help mask your problem but it will not fix it.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:50 AM
JK Freak

Everybody blames the steering stabilizer??? If your steering is set up correctly, you don't need a steering stabilizer. I'm still running the stock stabilizer with 35's and have not experienced any unusual steering. Even on my TJ with 5" lift and 35's, I could take off the steering stabilizer and it would track true as new. A stronger steering stabilizer will mask the problems (like a bandaid), not fix them.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:23 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by cablerep79
I could be wrong here but when I first got my stock Sahara, with the Bridgestone Dueler AT's, it also seemed squirrly to me. After getting some wear on the tires it started handling like it should. Has anyone that's already had some mileage on their new larger tires noticed an improvment over time?
I for one believe they come stock with not enough caster. Larger tires and a lift make it worse. Also I agree on tire pressure. Mine were at 40 psi when I got them. I am now running 27 psi and it is better. I think the improvement over time has more to do with getting used to the feel rather than things changing.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:44 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

you may want to check the caster ? adress this first
a aftermarket stabilizer will be a up grade but the stock one has worked fine so far for us 13000. miles with 37 and beadlock rims

Quick Reply: Steering Stabilizer? Steering Squirrly