Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering Stabilizer? Steering Squirrly

Old 03-21-2007, 10:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nota4re
Respectfully disagree with this statement. Fundamentally, it may be exactly the problem the guy is experiencing - where the set-up is has pinion angle within specs at the expense of caster. The result is a "squirrly" jeep or, at worst, the infamous death wobble.

I'd recommend to run as close to factory caster specs as possible - even to the point of having to swap out the factory CV driveshaft.

As I said before, it is balancing these two evils that is at the root of this problem. I'd suggest an iterative approach by dialing back in some caster and driving it to see if steering improves without geeting vibrations/noises from the fornt driveshaft. If the front driveshaft starts exhibiting problems before I achieved the right steering, I'd ditch the stock driveshaft.
I agree, the correct way to solve the problem would be to fix the caster with adjustable arms and ditch the front driveshaft for an aftermarket one.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilD
Not to argue the point, but the statement is correct. Pinion angle should take priority over caster. I used the word "should", not "must". I don't disagree with what you say at all, and a safer handling vehicle is obviously a priority over potential wear issues etc.
Front D30 are high pinion so pinion angle is not going to be a problem on a 4" lift. The drive shaft is also super long so that also makes pinion angle not a factor.

Quick Reply: Steering Stabilizer? Steering Squirrly