Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Stablizer

Old 11-08-2006, 07:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Stablizer

I have never lifted a vehicle (my 97 TJ) was stock, however I really, really like the look of a lifted JK and think that with the 4 door's length a lift and bigger tires is somewhat essential. Not only for better clearance, better breakover, but better aesthetics too.

My question is I bought the most recent 4 Wheeler (I think) magazine and there was a small pamphlet with tips and information of lifting an off-road vehicle. I have always been told that as you lift and put larger tires on a vehicle it become essential to put on a steering stablizer. However they said never to do this as it often maskes serious problems and alignment issues. They said a properly aligned vehcile with the right shocks, suspension set up do not need this.

Is this true? I see the skyjacker lifts use them and I see lots of trucks with them, what gives?:confused:
Old 11-08-2006, 08:46 PM
JK Newbie

It is very true that a properly aligned vehicle does not need a steering stabilizer. The stabilizer will help reduce bump steer, if you encounter that, but there are other ways to cure it. Steering stabilizers are generally used for two purposes: 1 aesthetics, 2: to cover up a problem. I was running 34x10.5 Swamper LTB TSLs when I first lifted my TJ. A lady pulled out in front of me one time and to avoid hitting her, I swerved into the curb. When I regained control of the vehicle and hauled butt after her, my steering wheel was turned to the right even though I was going straight ahead. I took it to a shop and had them re-align it after my own attempts turned out to be futile. After a couple of hundred miles, the front end got a wicked, steering wheel shaking, front end hopping shimmy above 50mph and during deceleration. I purchased a steering stabilizer, thinking my front end was shot. I posted your same question on my clubs website, and someone suggested I rotate the tires before installing it. I never installed the stabilizer. After swapping the rear tires to the front, the shimmy went away completely. IMHO, stabilizers are almost never needed. Fix the problem, don't cover it up with a stabilizer. And stay away from Bias ply for a daily driver!

I don't know about the JK, but the only alignment adjustments for the TJ were toe in and out, and left to right balance. There was no camber alignment. This made it very easy to align with a tape measure and a big pipe wrench, but limited what could be done in cases like mine.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. I one time ran a pair of bias ply micky thompsons on my TJ, never again... I have only used BFG A-T KO's since. However I like the price on the Maxxis Big Horn Radials and Dick Cepek Mud County Radials. Thinking about 34"s with 3" lift. I am just not happy about price increases of tires to the 17" rim. Would prefer a 16" rim for more tire selection.

Need to find a good price on rims too.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:34 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah, no crap! The larger rims are turning out to be rather difficult to fit. My second set of tires was Dunlop Mud Rovers, 33x12.50. I was extremely impressed with them both on road and off. On tirerack.com, they are under $120 a piece!

Sorry, just checked and they have gone up to $122. I don't know if they are even available in 17" rim size.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Dunlops are available in 33x12.50r17 and 35x12.50r17. They get a little pricier as they move up.

Ron

Quick Reply: Steering Stablizer