Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering upgrade options

Old 09-23-2009, 07:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering upgrade options

I've recently added 35's to my 2dr rubi and since then I've noticed that the steering itself is not quite as stiff as it used to be and find it a bit too easy for the wheels themselves to react based on bumps in the road. It feels like when I broke the stock stabilizer, and since then I've got Tera's steering stabilizer on there which has worked great up until I put on the 35's. I'm wondering what options there are to stiffen this up a bit more and get it closer to stock feeling....
Old 09-23-2009, 07:43 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

what psi are you running in your tires?
which lift do you have? (how did you adjust your caster?)
what is your caster currently set at?
Old 09-23-2009, 07:51 PM
JK Newbie

Around 30 psi, OME long travel (probably a touch over 3") and unclear on the caster angle, but haven't noticed any flighty steering that would cause me to think it's out of whack, but something I can probably check...
Old 09-23-2009, 07:55 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

find it a bit too easy for the wheels themselves to react based on bumps in the road.
This is why I asked about it. Since a lot of people have the opinion that the steering stabilizer is a bandaid, not a fix, I was thinking over-inflated tires or low caster might be the cause. But it doesn't sound like it.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:00 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah, it's something I definitely need to check to be sure...but I'm noticing it at offroad speeds too, it just exacerbates a bit more at higher speeds on the road.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:05 PM
JK Freak

It's all about the geometry really. You've changed things from stock and the only way to get the stock feel back is to correct what you have changed. On a side note, 35's are gonna make your jeep handle differently regardless, theirs alot more tire making contact with the road so you'll get more road feel. Your describing loose steering right? Playing with your caster angle should help that. The only other thing I can think of for loose steering is play in your steering box. I've heard of a number of jk's with steering box problems while running bigger tires, might wanna check that out. Before I go farther what do you mean exactly by the wheels reacting to the road? Are you getting bump steer or steering wheel shimmy?
Old 09-24-2009, 02:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Although there customer service is subpar, the RE drag link flip made my steering control significantly better. I had the steering clunk for 2 years and it is now barley noticeable. The steering is also significantly stiffer due to the tighter ball joints and there is less bump steer as the drag link is almost parallel with the road.

I am using the drag link flip with a dropped pitman arm.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I put a Teraflex drag link flip kit on and really tightened up the front end. I also installed the Rockcrawler tie rod and have really beat on it in the rocks and it has not bent yet.

Chris
Old 09-24-2009, 10:59 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also am running a beefier tie rod and drag link. They have 1 ton ends also that are greaseable. Made the front end much tighter. The stock tie rod and drag link is crap if you ask me.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:56 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info here all

Quick Reply: Steering upgrade options