Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

steering wheel not right after wheeling?

Old 02-21-2010, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
honestly, i have a hard time believing you bent your drag link BUT, i'd be willing to bet you spun the splines on your sector shaft. it's not uncommon and it's something i have done in the past.
Never thought to check this, so I can't say for sure.

Are you referring to the intermediate steering shaft between the steering wheel and sterring box? If so, that would make sense, I have had this replaced a couple of times under warranty already, but not at the same time... very possible.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here some pics, sorry for the quality of pics, I suck at taking pics. Does anything look messed up?

Old 02-21-2010, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

A bend that only de-centers the steering wheel in going to be very small and not noticable in these pictures. You would be looking underneeth for points where it was hit on a rock or something.

The more I think about it, if a bend is not obvious, I would think more along the lines of what wayoflife said. Use the adjuster on the draglink to recenter the steering wheel and hope that fixes the problem.

Originally Posted by Olean NY Jeeper
Here some pics, sorry for the quality of pics, I suck at taking pics. Does anything look messed up?

Old 02-21-2010, 03:33 PM
JK Freak

Hey broski, don't know about your tie rod, but with the ammount of lift u got in ur sig I'd look into adjustable trackbars. Just a thought. Another note, u should invest in a woods steering stabilizer relocation bracket or since it sounds like u need a new ss, some come with a relo bracket. Anywho, u should look into that for sure as you know first hand the factory location for the steering stabilizer is not ideal for wheelin. Factory tie rods seem to bend easily, I've heard a lot of ppl who just keep a spare OE tierod, because some say replacing with a $300+ aftermarket chromoly isn't ideal cause they too get damaged. Just my .02
Old 02-21-2010, 03:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ssunde1
Hey broski, don't know about your tie rod, but with the ammount of lift u got in ur sig I'd look into adjustable trackbars. Just a thought. Another note, u should invest in a woods steering stabilizer relocation bracket or since it sounds like u need a new ss, some come with a relo bracket. Anywho, u should look into that for sure as you know first hand the factory location for the steering stabilizer is not ideal for wheelin. Factory tie rods seem to bend easily, I've heard a lot of ppl who just keep a spare OE tierod, because some say replacing with a $300+ aftermarket chromoly isn't ideal cause they too get damaged. Just my .02
The stabalizer looks ok, its not leaking or anything, I hit where it attaches to the tie-rod and it is just the mounting hardware that is damaged. This is my 2nd stablizer, the first was smashed and leaking oil. replaced under warrant just one month ago. Doubt I will get them to do it again. When this one goes, I wll be getting an aftermarket. At the rate I am going this one will be dead in a few months.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Is the bolt and bracket for the steering stabalizer supposed to be in this position with the nut facing the front?

Old 02-27-2010, 01:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

hey olean, what did you ever come up with on the steering wheel issue?
Old 02-28-2010, 02:42 AM
JK Super Freak

I still have not figured out what happened and cannot see any noticeable dent in my tierod. I am just going to wheel it again and see what happens. Since I adjusted the steering wheel after wheeling it has been fine. I do get a little shimmy in the steering wheel at speeds higer than 35 mph but I think that its my tire being out of balance, not really sure though. I bent the rim a but at the bead when wheeling but that balanced my tires with that equal shit so I am not sure if that would compensate for a bent wheel or not.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Olean NY Jeeper
I still have not figured out what happened and cannot see any noticeable dent in my tierod. I am just going to wheel it again and see what happens. Since I adjusted the steering wheel after wheeling it has been fine. I do get a little shimmy in the steering wheel at speeds higer than 35 mph but I think that its my tire being out of balance, not really sure though. I bent the rim a but at the bead when wheeling but that balanced my tires with that equal shit so I am not sure if that would compensate for a bent wheel or not.
Sometimes all it takes is a small impact to your tie rod to throw the steering out of alignment. I did it and had to get an alignment done right after and it fixed the problem. My tie rod still has a slight bend in it but she drives straight regardless. Love my Jeep!!!
Old 02-28-2010, 06:24 AM
JK Newbie

Default Steering wheel not right after wheeling.

You should also check the drag link mounting bracket to see if it has torn loose from the axle, as they are a known weak link. Also check to see if the pitman arm nut is tight, and the steering box mounts tight or broken.

Quick Reply: steering wheel not right after wheeling?