Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

steering wheel not right after wheeling?

Old 02-28-2010, 06:35 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by David C. Brown
You should also check the drag link mounting bracket to see if it has torn loose from the axle, as they are a known weak link. Also check to see if the pitman arm nut is tight, and the steering box mounts tight or broken.
Trackbar mount on the axle I believe you mean.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:37 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by David C. Brown
You should also check the drag link mounting bracket to see if it has torn loose from the axle, as they are a known weak link. Also check to see if the pitman arm nut is tight, and the steering box mounts tight or broken.
ummm, the drag link has a tie rod end that bolts directly up to the steering knuckle. it does not mount to a bracket on the axle. i believe you are thinking about the "track bar" mount at the axle and if that were the case, he would have death wobble. assuming he's still running a factory pitman arm, there is no way that nut is coming loose just from off roading and i have a hard time believing that the steering box mounts have come loose.

again, i have personally had the splines on my sector shaft (what the pitman arm attaches to) twist from hard off roading and more than once and this will throw your steering wheel off. if nothing else shows itself to be the culprit, i would look here.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayoflife
ummm, the drag link has a tie rod end that bolts directly up to the steering knuckle. it does not mount to a bracket on the axle. i believe you are thinking about the "track bar" mount at the axle and if that were the case, he would have death wobble. assuming he's still running a factory pitman arm, there is no way that nut is coming loose just from off roading and i have a hard time believing that the steering box mounts have come loose.

again, i have personally had the splines on my sector shaft (what the pitman arm attaches to) twist from hard off roading and more than once and this will throw your steering wheel off. if nothing else shows itself to be the culprit, i would look here.

How would I know that the splines on the sector shaft are damaged? Is this something that would need to be fixed?

I am not getting any death wobble or problems, the jeep drives straight even if I take my hand off the wheel. the only thing I had to do was adjust the steeriing wheel after wheeling and it has not given me any problems. As I said before, I am getting a slight shimmy but I think this would be due to tire out of balance. Coult steering shaft spline problem cause a shimmy? It is a very slight shimmy and doesnt bother me that much.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:11 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Olean NY Jeeper
How would I know that the splines on the sector shaft are damaged? Is this something that would need to be fixed?

I am not getting any death wobble or problems, the jeep drives straight even if I take my hand off the wheel. the only thing I had to do was adjust the steeriing wheel after wheeling and it has not given me any problems. As I said before, I am getting a slight shimmy but I think this would be due to tire out of balance. Coult steering shaft spline problem cause a shimmy? It is a very slight shimmy and doesnt bother me that much.
if your steering wheel is just a bit off, it would be hard to tell. if it's off a lot, you might be able to see the spline twist if you pull off the pitman arm. granted, this is more work to do than i would recommend and i would just say to recenter your steering wheel using the drag link adjuster and call it a day. you should be just fine with things as is and no, this would not cause the shimmy you have. if it's a speed related shimmy, it's more than likey a tire balancing issue.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayoflife
if your steering wheel is just a bit off, it would be hard to tell. if it's off a lot, you might be able to see the spline twist if you pull off the pitman arm. granted, this is more work to do than i would recommend and i would just say to recenter your steering wheel using the drag link adjuster and call it a day. you should be just fine with things as is and no, this would not cause the shimmy you have. if it's a speed related shimmy, it's more than likey a tire balancing issue.
Thank you! I recentered it last week and no problems as of yet. I will still upgrade my tie rod at some point in time even if it isnt bent.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:20 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Olean NY Jeeper
Thank you! I recentered it last week and no problems as of yet. I will still upgrade my tie rod at some point in time even if it isnt bent.
honestly, i would wait until it is bent and bent enough to matter no need to buy something if it ain't needed yet. so long as it doesn't cause binding of the steering stabilizer or come into contact with anything else, all you have to do is reset the toe and you should be good to go.

Quick Reply: steering wheel not right after wheeling?