Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Step on a rock rail

Old 09-08-2012, 03:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Step on a rock rail

Who has mounted steps on their rubicon rock rail with success? I have a few ideas in mind I'm just not to sure on the best way to mount it. Cant weld the entire thing on cause you would obviously have to take them off for off roading. I was thinking about drilling holes and then just back welding a nut in place. If you have done anything like this please post some pics and comments. Thanks Bill
Old 09-08-2012, 08:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'd just get some ace rock rails you can throw them on with your rubi rails and use them like a step along with they work practically off road
Old 09-08-2012, 08:29 AM
JK Newbie

Ace has a kit made just for what you're talking about, but with the welding
Old 09-08-2012, 01:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not looking for ace, I need a step that comes down farther for the pregnant wifey. If it wasn't for that I would definitely go with the ace or LODs. I just ordered a set off Carr super hoops. When I get them I'm gonna fab up some brackets that mount to the rubi rail
Old 09-08-2012, 04:18 PM
JK Newbie

Default step rails.

Originally Posted by Fourtango
Who has mounted steps on their rubicon rock rail with success? I have a few ideas in mind I'm just not to sure on the best way to mount it. Cant weld the entire thing on cause you would obviously have to take them off for off roading. I was thinking about drilling holes and then just back welding a nut in place. If you have done anything like this please post some pics and comments. Thanks Bill
Look at the Rubicon Step Ups at Wild Boar Products. We have them on both Jeeps!
/www.wildboarproducts.com/protection.html#

Martin
Mine - 2011 Blk. JK Rubi.
Hers- 2011 Slvr. JK Rubi.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I get what you're saying. You need something lower. I like the idea you had (OP). You just may need a brace from the step angled up so it will prevent them from twisting when your wife steps on them. The nice thing is you can remove them when wheeling if you bolt them like you said with welded nuts on the back side. I think the rock rails use the same bolts as the side steps. If that's so they should be fine to hang a step from. Or you can just carry along a small step stool to put down so she can step in then you don't need to mount anything. Since it's only for a few months maybe she'll be ok with the stool.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Look at Bestop Highrock Slider steps. Down position works well as a step then slide them up & in for trail running. I wouldn't go serious rock crawling with them, but they should hold up for average off road use.

Otherwise, RSE motorized steps / rocker panel skid, if you can afford them....
Old 09-09-2012, 03:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fourtango
For different reasons, I look for easily detachable steps.
The simplest solution I could think of, is adding trapeze shaped pieces to the Rubi rock rail:
......______
...../..........\
..../...O...O...\
...---------------
(Top view. More angled than shown here, so it doesn't catch on rocks/wood)

The 2 holes on top will receive pins going down from the step.

The step (side view):

......____
........|...|
............|
.......X...|
............|
............----------

The 'X' is a vertical latch which presses against the bottom of the rock rail.
A twist of the handle, and the step is free to remove.

I'll do it when I have the time for it. In the meantime, I use a ~12" plastic stool...

Last edited by GJeep; 09-09-2012 at 03:53 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My girl isn't pregnant, but after the lift and tires, it's a bit of a leap of faith for her to get in and out. I'm considering the MORE offroad hide a step. Don't have them personally, but throwing them in there as an option. Looks like they are spring loaded and tuck up under the jeep, and also have a quick disconnect option.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmokramer
My girl isn't pregnant, but after the lift and tires, it's a bit of a leap of faith for her to get in and out. I'm considering the MORE offroad hide a step. Don't have them personally, but throwing them in there as an option. Looks like they are spring loaded and tuck up under the jeep, and also have a quick disconnect option.
X2. If I had to have a "step", that would be it.

Quick Reply: Step on a rock rail