Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock brake system VS modified brake system

Old 03-10-2016, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run powerstop slotted rotors with ceramic pads. The jeep will stop on a dime. Very well worth it, IMO. Easy install as well.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Minor update at 125 miles. I just performed two long ABS stops in a gravel parking lot. There is absolutely no change in pedal travel after doing them.

To recap, the new Teraflex braking system (fronts, rears and master cylinder) works very well despite the long travel of the brake pedal before it engages. If I give a quick pump it will raise the point of engagement on the pedal. It's just like when drum brakes are not adjusted properly if you've ever experienced that. (These are discs.) But once engaged the brakes stop very well.

I will wait about a week and then rebleed the brakes just for good measure.

Last edited by adamisadam; 03-11-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by adamisadam
Minor update at 125 miles. I just performed two long ABS stops in a gravel parking lot. There is absolutely no change in pedal travel after doing them. To recap, the new Teraflex braking system (fronts, rears and master cylinder) works very well despite the long travel of the brake pedal before it engages. If I give a quick pump it will raise the point of engagement on the pedal. It's just like when drum brakes are not adjusted properly if you've ever experienced that. (These are discs.) But once engaged the brakes stop very well. I will wait about a week and then rebleed the brakes just for good measure.
Try bleeding again and see if there's air in your system. I used a power bleeder and it took a whole day to get all the air out. I have no pedal travel.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:55 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by GoBig
Try bleeding again and see if there's air in your system. I used a power bleeder and it took a whole day to get all the air out. I have no pedal travel.
You have NO pedal travel? As in the brakes grab within an inch of applying the brakes? Is that with the Teraflex master and big brake kit?
Old 03-11-2016, 01:42 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by GoBig

Mine was the same. Long pedal, at first but after bleeding the piss out of its a pretty damn good pedal stroke i can lock them up with probably half a pedal stroke pushed
Old 03-11-2016, 01:56 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Maertz
Mine was the same. Long pedal, at first but after bleeding the piss out of its a pretty damn good pedal stroke i can lock them up with probably half a pedal stroke pushed
Hmm. ok. Well, my mechanic said he'd bleed them again, no problem. I guess that's what I'll do.

Why did you have to bleed them so much? Was air stuck in the ABS? Did you have the scan tool to open the ABS?
Old 03-11-2016, 02:10 PM
JK Jedi

Hmm. ok. Well, my mechanic said he'd bleed them again, no problem. I guess that's what I'll do.

Why did you have to bleed them so much? Was air stuck in the ABS? Did you have the scan tool to open the ABS?
I had air in my abs.. I had no tool so I took it off road and locked up the brakes alot offroad to activate abs and push it out. Then bled. I repeated a few times. I had my master cylinder replaced and my abs out for a long while as i was relocating a ton in my engine bay.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:27 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Maertz
I had air in my abs.. I had no tool so I took it off road and locked up the brakes alot offroad to activate abs and push it out. Then bled. I repeated a few times. I had my master cylinder replaced and my abs out for a long while as i was relocating a ton in my engine bay.
Exactly!!!!
Old 03-11-2016, 05:28 PM
JK Freak

You have NO pedal travel? As in the brakes grab within an inch of applying the brakes? Is that with the Teraflex master and big brake kit?
I didn't change out the master (still stock) and I can lock them up about half way.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Minor update at 125 miles. I just performed two long ABS stops in a gravel parking lot. There is absolutely no change in pedal travel after doing them. To recap, the new Teraflex braking system (fronts, rears and master cylinder) works very well despite the long travel of the brake pedal before it engages. If I give a quick pump it will raise the point of engagement on the pedal. It's just like when drum brakes are not adjusted properly if you've ever experienced that. (These are discs.) But once engaged the brakes stop very well. I will wait about a week and then rebleed the brakes just for good measure.
Mine has the same characteristic. What's happening when you pump the pedal quickly is the pistons in the front calipers don't retract fully before you apply pressure again. If there was residual air in the system the pedal would slowly sink towards the floor. With this system it doesn't do that. Again, this is a characteristic of a master cylinder that's too small for the size of the bores in the calipers.

Wanted to point out that it's unlikely air is in your ABS controller, as the spools close off the motor pump unit until activated. Even if there was the ABS section is closed off until the controller activates it. It would have no effect on your pedal position. This system won't purge the ABS air by activating it. The dealer Starscan routine manually opens one spool at a time to allow pressure to force any air completely through the system. The routine requires pressure bleeding (not pumping the pedal) at fairly high pressure. The steps are 1) bleed the system normally, 2) bleed each corner using the Starscan routine to hold the ABS spools open one at a time, 3) bleeding the entire system again. The factory manual says each corner should be pressure bled for 30 seconds during bleeding.

Quick Reply: Stock brake system VS modified brake system