Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock flarer chopping and bed lining

Old 05-02-2013, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock flarer chopping and bed lining

Hey guys, I have a couple questions i would like to have answered regarding stock flare cutting and possible bed lining. Along with thousands of other jk owners, my stock flares, and both bumpers are an ugly faded gray. I have read a bunch of threads about bed lining and painting them or even plastic restoring stuff (which i have tried back to black). But, i have picked up a pair of stock color matched Sahara fenders from a friend. They are like a dark blue/gray color and are slightly scratched up. I knew i wouldn't put them on my rig like that because mine is stone white and don't think it would look to good. So what I'm thinking of doing is; with a neighbor, cutting this pair of fenders so i don't have to even mess with mine (just in case) and bed-lining them with a rattle can. I do off-road, as much as possible on trails and mud. No crazy rock crawling so i'm not needing something that's exactly bullet proof. I'm thinking it would turn out awesome, and then I could do both of my stock bumpers. Any input, help, or answers on whether this would be appreciated.

Also, I don't need people telling me to buy a set of flats, my plan is to eventually get bushwhackers, but being a 16 year old its a little hard to pull 500 dollars out of my butt. I figure if i can make a great set of these then i can focus my money on a new rear bumper w/ tire carrier, front bumper psc rock rails and other stuff.

If specs are something anyone wants im on 35 inch bfg a/t's with a 3 in TF lift.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can try plastidip on fenders. Friend of mine did that. Wore off eventually
Old 05-02-2013, 09:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Also, what tool works best for cutting, jigsaw, or what?
Old 05-02-2013, 09:26 PM
JK Newbie

Take a blow torch to your factory flares it will make the fade go away and they will look like new again and then chop them on the jeep with an angle grinder it doesn't take long to do and is very easy. Cheers
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4159074932.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	453734   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-313727389.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	453735  
Old 05-02-2013, 09:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeep_creep88
Take a blow torch to your factory flares it will make the fade go away and they will look like new again and then chop them on the jeep with an angle grinder it doesn't take long to do and is very easy. Cheers
Looks great thanks for the input. Do you think a heat fun would work the same?
Old 05-02-2013, 09:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

*gun. Sorry about that
Old 05-02-2013, 10:22 PM
JK Freak

I've seen it done with a heat gun. I know there is a youtube video. I used a dremel to chop mine.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 951JEEP
I've seen it done with a heat gun. I know there is a youtube video. I used a dremel to chop mine.
Wow yours came out great. Look professional.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup used a jig saw to cut mine
Old 05-07-2013, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

So I chopped them.. Came out awesome. Just need a solution to paint them.. Still need to sand them down as they are color matched flares to a different color jeep. Not thinking of going to the bed line route, but some other tough black paint that won't chip and scratch.. Also help with an edge that goes around the flare I've been hearing of door trim or something?

Quick Reply: Stock flarer chopping and bed lining