Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Strange ticking sound...need help!

Old 12-21-2009, 11:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pirate
I have had u joints that do that when going bad. Does it only do it on decelleration? Or does it do it going into reverse. Do you hear a slight clunk when putting it in gear? When the one in my truck ( ford) failed it was doing that for months it got progressivly worse as time went on, it had seized on the bearings so I had no signs of play but got vibrations for months. Eventually it stated clunking and then I could find witch one went bad. My .02 c
it would only happen on deceleration. unfortunately, I don't remember if it made the sound in reverse. i didn't notice any difference when changing gears before and after the lift.

Maybe this will help identify the issue: while up in Tahoe this past weekend, i would hear a whining sound in first gear for the first few miles in the cold. If you've ever hear a Honda accelerate in reverse, it was a quieter version of that. transmission??? driveshaft???

if anyone knows a good jeep mechanic in the bay area, feel free to send me a PM with info. i live in an apartment building so can't really mess around with my jeep in the garage (and honestly, don't have enough know-how to fix problems involving the engine/drivetrain).
Old 12-21-2009, 11:58 PM
JK Newbie

First of all, i just want to say that i appreciate the responses (even you, Dex1 ).

Originally Posted by pirate
I have had u joints that do that when going bad. Does it only do it on decelleration? Or does it do it going into reverse. Do you hear a slight clunk when putting it in gear? When the one in my truck ( ford) failed it was doing that for months it got progressivly worse as time went on, it had seized on the bearings so I had no signs of play but got vibrations for months. Eventually it stated clunking and then I could find witch one went bad. My .02 c
it would only happen on deceleration. unfortunately, I don't remember if it made the sound in reverse. i didn't notice any difference when changing gears before and after the lift.

Maybe this will help identify the issue: while up in Tahoe this past weekend, i would hear a whining sound in first gear for the first few miles in the cold. If you've ever hear a Honda accelerate in reverse, it was a quieter version of that. transmission??? driveshaft???

if anyone knows a good jeep mechanic in the bay area, feel free to send me a PM with info. i live in an apartment building so can't really mess around with my jeep in the garage and am nowhere close to qualified to fix problems involving the engine/drivetrain.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:44 AM
-

Only time I had a similar noise, there was a tree branch caught in the trans skid plate and it was in contact with the "dented" part of the front shaft, and made a high pitch sound like that got so high at above 50 that you'd loose it. Kind of when a kid puts playing cards in his bike wheels to simulate engine noise...

Quick Reply: Strange ticking sound...need help!