Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street PSI. How low is too low?

Old 02-06-2013, 03:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street PSI. How low is too low?

I know the signs of too much pressure for pavement driving. I like the softer feel over railroad tracks, bridge ties etc but other than an overly bulging sidewall how can you tell when your pressure is too low for pavement and detrimental to longevity and economy on the road?
Old 02-06-2013, 03:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4W-Jive
I know the signs of too much pressure for pavement driving. I like the softer feel over railroad tracks, bridge ties etc but other than an overly bulging sidewall how can you tell when your pressure is too low for pavement and detrimental to longevity and economy on the road?
its called the chalk test. what may work for me with the same tires and jeep as yours may not work for you.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Yes that will tell you when your pressure is too high.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Pluke the 2

its called the chalk test. what may work for me with the same tires and jeep as yours may not work for you.
And I never asked what psi you run
Old 02-06-2013, 03:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

it will also tell you if your tire psi is to low.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Anyone else who can provide useful input please? Looking for signs of under inflation causing wear issues on pavement.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

oh i see...... you want the arithmetic and formula for figuring out an ideal tire psi..........

you bought the wrong vehicle.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

A tire that is under inflated shows more wear on the inside of the tread than around the edges. If you keep your tires under inflated, you are causing your car (and tires) a number of problems, as well as creating some safety issues.
First, under-inflated tires reduce your fuel efficiency, so you'll be paying for (and burning off) more gas than your car ought to need. Under inflating your tires can also create excessive heat build-up, which not only increases the rate of wear on your tire, but can cause it to blow out entirely. The U.S. Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has given your tire a temperature rating (A, B or C) as part of its uniform tire-quality grading (UTQG) system, to indicate how much heat your tire can handle. However, the UTQG temperature rating assumes you'll keep your tire at its proper pressure. If you're under inflating your tire, you'll have to assume (and guess exactly how much) your tire's ability to manage heat is now much lower.
The proper inflation level on your tires also affects how much load your car can carry. Every car comes with a tire-load rating that tells you the maximum weight that your tire can bear. However, just as with the UTQG temperature rating, the tire load rating assumes a properly inflated tire (all four of them). An under-inflated tire simply won't be able to carry as much weight.
Your tire's inflation pressure is measured as pounds per square inch, or psi. Your manufacturer's handbook should tell you exactly what the proper psi is for your tires. Buy a simple tire pressure gauge and check your tires' inflation yourself; do this at least once a month. If your tires are below their recommended inflation rate, you can pump air into them at just about any gas station.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Omg someone please get this guy out if my thread before I quit the forum.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

why you mad

Quick Reply: Street PSI. How low is too low?