Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Supercharger

Old 08-15-2010, 03:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger

Saw an add fro a Ripp supercharger. Anyone running one of these? The cost looks to be under 5k. I don't know what a hemi runs but I think it is around 30 k. So anythoughts?
Old 08-15-2010, 03:19 PM
JK Freak

The supercharger is definitely less $$, but where it produces the HP/torque is not really noted. If you spend all your time on the highway the supercharger (even turbo) is great. If you crawl it may not greatly increase the power in the lower RPM's like you'd hope for or get with a V-8/diesel.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:27 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Ripp is a site sponsor. A quick search will bring up lots of threads, or just send them a PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:25 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 4LCKD10RUBIUNLTD
AEV has Hemi's for $3999.00 Just saying.
wouldn't that be just the install kit?
Old 08-15-2010, 04:47 PM
JK Freak

that is the install kit... now find the engine and transmission... add labor... it's not cheap...
Old 08-15-2010, 07:07 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKCliff
The supercharger is definitely less $$, but where it produces the HP/torque is not really noted. If you spend all your time on the highway the supercharger (even turbo) is great. If you crawl it may not greatly increase the power in the lower RPM's like you'd hope for or get with a V-8/diesel.
Just got back from rock crawling at 10 to 12k feet elivatoin and had NO trouble with the stock engine. See mods below. My biggest problem at elivation was getting around on the highway and keeping up speed over steeper grades. My low speed, 4 low range crawling power was awsome. With my 5:13s and the 4:1 transfer case, I just don't have any problem crawling around and over large boulders. Heck, it would idle up a steep grade over rocks that would push my front suspension up into the fender well with my foot off the gas.

Im really considering the supercharger just for helping me get out of my own way on the highway and out of intersections in 2wd or 4 High.

Just my thoughts and opinions.

Jeff
Old 08-15-2010, 08:17 PM
JK Newbie

RIPP is also testing a second version. It is supposed to be cheaper and easier to install, or so RIPP said in the post about it. Hopefully it will be out soon.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKCliff
A turbocharger produces power based on the velocity of exhaust gas, therefore at lower rpms there is not much use. However, a supercharger produces power by a belt driven system and has a more liner power band helping out at the lower end. The real question is how much?

I bet it helps out enough to warrant the 5k. A lot more than the minimum of 12k If you bought a used Hemi and Tranny and got an install kit and did it yourself. Or 20k to have a pro shop drop in a new one.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4LCKD10RUBIUNLTD
Now I feel stupid I was thinking thats not a bad price. Imma get me a Hemi! Now Ive see reality. No Hemi in my future.
We have all been there in one form or another.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:51 AM
JK Super Freak

The hemi is about 18k to 21k bucks depending on who is building it

Quick Reply: Supercharger