Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Superchips Error - Car is dead -HELP

Old 12-11-2013, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by karls
The stereo won't cause any issues, but it does store a code that the radio is missing even if you use the proper harness.

The only way was if there's a fluke in their software that correlates a 'stereo missing' code to a no run condition. Highly unlikely but possible if their software is flawed.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Last update of the night. The vehicle still will not start after sitting for five minutes. To get it to start I have to clear the codes and click return to stock.

I then start up the vehicle and it runs fine with no code. I turn it off and back on and I get a no communication with radio code. I turn it off and on again and I get a no communication with radio code, no communication with PCM code, a no communication transmission module code and two other miscommunication codes

Then after sitting for five minutes the vehicle will not start again. I am at a loss here. My tuner says it is up to date when hooked up to spark now too.

Last edited by 2013Sport; 12-11-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:45 PM
JK Junkie

That's the craziest thing and even odder that it won't wipe your computer clean to allow you to return the jeep to normal operation. Any word if superchips will pay for you to take it to the dealer and have them force a clean flash on it? That's the only thing at this point that I think would get you back to a reliable place. It would lock the tuner, but if they are aware of the issue then they *should* unlock it for free for you.

I'm going to stay subscribed here to see what I can offer you as far as solutions go.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 2013Sport
Last update of the night. The vehicle still will not start after sitting for five minutes. To get it to start I have to clear the codes and click return to stock.

I then start up the vehicle and it runs fine with no code. I turn it off and back on and I get a no communication with radio code. I turn it off and on again and I get a no communication with radio code, no communication with PCM code, a no communication transmission module code and two other miscommunication codes

Then after sitting for five minutes the vehicle will not start again. I am at a loss here. My tuner says it is up to date when hooked up to spark now too.
Man I Feel for you. This is a major FUBAR. It's stories like this that make me want to totally stay away from tuners. I know it's a BETA, but DANG no one wants a BRICK and then have to tow to dealer. And who knows what they put on your records - does this "black flag" you for future warranty issues. I really hope that Superchips steps up and helps get your Jeep back to stock at least. Thanks for sharing your story.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here are a few of the codes I am getting.

Just to disclaim, I am posting this for people's knowledge/reference not to bash Superchips. I could not find any threads on superchips errors so I decided to document this here as I am sure I am not the only one who is/have had this issue.

I just talked to them again. Even though the update on the tuner says it was sucessful on Spark, they think that it was not sucessful. They advised me to hard wire into the internet instead of using wireless to complete the update. I am skeptical of this but what other choice do I have. If it doesnt work the PCM and Tuner are being shipped to them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	516348   Click image for larger version

Views:	276
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	516349   Click image for larger version

Views:	295
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	516350   Click image for larger version

Views:	244
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	516351  

Last edited by 2013Sport; 12-12-2013 at 04:20 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:14 AM
JK Freak

Only thing I can think of is your new radio might be jamming your CAN bus (cannabis?).

All smart devices (PCM, ACM, ECM, TCM, BCM, DCM, CCM, ICU [and I see you too]) talk to each other over the vehicle wiring using a digital carrier signal protocol called CAN bus that travels on top of the 12VDC. Any device that has capacitors or inductors (and sometimes diodes) on the power side of their circuit can attenuate or garble that communication.

CAN bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know the Superchips instructions says to turn off and unplug all accessories before programming but just turning off your radio might not be enough. You might have to disconnect (unplug) it or at least remove the radio fuse.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:24 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by karls
While that is true, the tuner was half priced as part of the beta program.

Nonetheless- it does suck that this is an issue.

Heck it could have been free and it would not be worth the headache for me. OEM's are trying to stay one step ahead of the aftermarket so who knows what safe guards are in place?
Old 12-12-2013, 06:48 AM
JK Freak

Admittedly,, I dont know much about superships tuners,, I used a ProCal to adjust my jeep; however, I can tell you that I used a PAC with my stereo upgrade as well, and it messed up my bluetooth abilities and some stereo controls. After trying several unsuccessful fixes, we finally took out the PAC and went with a much cheaper version of a connection. It worked like a champ. I wish I could tell you what we used,, but I cant remember. Regardless,,, remove the PAC and try again. At this point it seems like you have tried everything else, what can it hurt.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Watching this thread and hoping everything will turn out ok. I also get nervous every time I change a tune or unplug the tuner, what you describe would be one of my nightmares.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did what superchips asked me to do today. Left with the same issue, and 2 codes, invalid internal memory checksum and failure to communicate with radio. I have been without a reliable car for 5 days.

Update: I just spoke to a friend who tuned for diablosport and now owns a top mustang tuning company. He said the code pretty much means the PCM is done. I will call superchips again tomorrow.

Basically that means that there is an interal fault in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). There have been many reported PCM failures on Chrysler/Dodge products. In Dodge/Chrysler products, a P0601 trouble code means that a serial communication failed inside the computer at least 6 times.

A code P0601 in most cases means the PCM has gone bad. This is possibly due to a short-circuit inside the PCM. Or, if you disconnect the wires/connector from the PCM while the battery is still connected, that may also cause this code.

With a P0601 OBD-II trouble code, the most common fix is to replace and reprogram the PCM. In a few cases the dealer may be able to reflash the PCM and get it working. But more than likely the PCM will need to be replaced and reprogrammed

Last edited by 2013Sport; 12-12-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:59 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 2013Sport
Did what superchips asked me to do today. Left with the same issue, and 2 codes, invalid internal memory checksum and failure to communicate with radio. I have been without a reliable car for 5 days.

Update: I just spoke to a friend who tuned for diablosport and now owns a top mustang tuning company. He said the code pretty much means the PCM is done. I will call superchips again tomorrow.

Basically that means that there is an interal fault in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). There have been many reported PCM failures on Chrysler/Dodge products. In Dodge/Chrysler products, a P0601 trouble code means that a serial communication failed inside the computer at least 6 times.

A code P0601 in most cases means the PCM has gone bad. This is possibly due to a short-circuit inside the PCM. Or, if you disconnect the wires/connector from the PCM while the battery is still connected, that may also cause this code.

With a P0601 OBD-II trouble code, the most common fix is to replace and reprogram the PCM. In a few cases the dealer may be able to reflash the PCM and get it working. But more than likely the PCM will need to be replaced and reprogrammed
Good to know. Hopefully when you take it into the dealer there is no trace that you used the Superchips as they may use that as their "way out" as not to replace your PCM under warranty. Best of luck..

aldaman

Quick Reply: Superchips Error - Car is dead -HELP