Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superchips Flashpaq for JK, Initial Impressions

Old 08-05-2009, 11:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Clump
Here's a link to a thread I started on the Superchips forum concerning TPMS for JK Wrangler:
http://app.flashpaq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5869

Here's the quote that answers the minimum pressure question:

Edited out some white space and added the emphasis.

Well now I'm pissed, I wanted to turn off the light , I don't have sensors and don't plan on buying them. I may have to return this and jus buy a procal.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheelerbob
Well now I'm pissed, I wanted to turn off the light , I don't have sensors and don't plan on buying them. I may have to return this and jus buy a procal.
I am pretty sure you can thank Firestone's shenanigans for this. That and people who are too lazy to check tire pressure from time to time and require "dummy marks" to tell them how to place one foot in front of another.

Would be nice to have the option to turn it off but these companies are too open to lawsuits if they break mandated laws. If I were in their shoes, I wouldn't offer anything to disable it either but they should alter their advertising accordingly.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:12 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Locklain
I am pretty sure you can thank Firestone's shenanigans for this. That and people who are too lazy to check tire pressure from time to time and require "dummy marks" to tell them how to place one foot in front of another.

Would be nice to have the option to turn it off but these companies are too open to lawsuits if they break mandated laws. If I were in their shoes, I wouldn't offer anything to disable it either but they should alter their advertising accordingly.

I hear you but I'm sick of the nanny state, TPMS would not of prevented the Firestone blowouts. Firestone gave ford a rec pressure to run at and Ford decided that the Explorer rode to rough, so Ford lowered it, had they had TPMS it would have been set to the same pressure that Ford put on the door sticker not to what Firestone rec. People that ride around on low tires are for the most part lazy, I see cars all the time with low tires. I see people in my neighborhood day after day with the same tires low. I was an auto tech for 12 years and I can tell you that the Idiot light on the dash will not get most people to do shit. I had one car come in with the brake rotor wore completley off and the piston fell out of the caliper, they were still driving it and using the parking brake to stop, do you think that person would stop for air because a light came on. I can't tell you how many cars were towed in and the owners said ( the check engine light has been on for months ). I just can't stand the nanny state anymore. Just put a disclaimer in the box and in the programmer itself and let me take responsibility for my own actions.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wheelerbob
crap ! me too!
why don't they make a "race only" update version? A lot of exhaust systems are made that way, why not with the software? The responsability would be left to the owner of the vehicle
Old 08-05-2009, 02:12 PM
JK Junkie

I exchanged a couple of emails with SC today on the TPMS topic.

The law is pretty poorly written with lots of holes and no thoughts of the aftermarket.

SC had this ready a long time ago with lower thresholds and I'm sure the ability to turn it off. It was rewritten several times to make it acceptable with current regulations.

By all means SC wanted to release a more robust TPMS but the liability risk outweighed what they could bring to market.

This is not a dead issue and there are some considerations of alternate methods entailing a lot of engineering to get it done, all while still staying compliant. I don't have any idea where that falls in priority or if it ever will become a reality, but this isn't what SC wanted to deliver, it's what the law allowed them to.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JPop
I exchanged a couple of emails with SC today on the TPMS topic.

The law is pretty poorly written with lots of holes and no thoughts of the aftermarket.

SC had this ready a long time ago with lower thresholds and I'm sure the ability to turn it off. It was rewritten several times to make it acceptable with current regulations.

By all means SC wanted to release a more robust TPMS but the liability risk outweighed what they could bring to market.

This is not a dead issue and there are some considerations of alternate methods entailing a lot of engineering to get it done, all while still staying compliant. I don't have any idea where that falls in priority or if it ever will become a reality, but this isn't what SC wanted to deliver, it's what the law allowed them to.
I realy like my Flashpaq but this is a pretty bad instance of promising something you can't deliver. TPMS was not the be all and end all for me but it was important and given that competing products did it I was confident it would come along shortly. They can offer all the reasoning they want but they advertised this feature and are not delivering it. That does leave a little bit of a sour taste.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by NWJKRubi
I realy like my Flashpaq but this is a pretty bad instance of promising something you can't deliver. TPMS was not the be all and end all for me but it was important and given that competing products did it I was confident it would come along shortly. They can offer all the reasoning they want but they advertised this feature and are not delivering it. That does leave a little bit of a sour taste.

I kinda agree, I thought since AEV disables that Superchips would also, my fault for assuming but still. My two biggest concerns were tire size/gear change & TPMS, I thought about it alot and decided that the Superchips was worth the extra $200 for the performance gains, but now that one of my key features is not going to amount to crap I'm a little peeved. If I end up having to purchase a Pro-cal I'll be out another $130 for a feature I thought would eventually be there. Maybe I'm just whining but I don't just have $$$ to keep throwing around. I have not tried the performance tune's yet since my Jeep only has 394 miles on it. Maybe after the tune go's in I'll decide that the performance alone was worth it, but for now
Old 08-05-2009, 03:08 PM
JK Freak

yes you are whining because all you are woried about is a light on your dash and you are getting a vast product with a ton of useful features, most importantly the tuning function which rocks. Return it if it is not to your saticfaction or put the tuning in for one day and then set it back to stock. it takes 7 minutes and when you check it out you will be convinced, otherwise you are more than likely the type that will never be happy in which case you bought the wrong vehicle not the wrong programmer.

I am not trying to be rude, but I believe your perspective is off by a bit. I am speaking from experiance I had the other one and this one blows it away.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:04 PM
JK Junkie

Well, I don't think it's whining, but a case where you need to separate personal disappointment from the expectations of the manufacturer who is obviously bound with the liability of their product.

From the initial press release, "TPMS threshold adjustment for use on different terrains". While what was delivered might not be what some wanted, it is what they said they would do. The people at Superchips weren't happy that they couldn't deliver a more robust TPMS adjustment tool, but they are bound by federal regulations and the liability they would take ownership of if they stepped beyond those bounds.

This certainly isn't the end of the line as to what may happen with the TPMS settings, but at the same time it probably doesn't take priority over some of the projects the Chrysler team is working on. There is a much more robust set of transmission tools they are working on and considering it will cover a lot of vehicles besides Jeeps, I'm sure it's higher on their priority list. I also believe with what has been delivered, one of the more aggravating things has been relieved, the TPMS indicator for on road use.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I guess I'm a whiner.

I have to say the tune is real nice. I'm running the 87 octane tune now. I just don't like being misled. AEV found a way around the issue, why can't SC?

I would return this thing if I could, but the legendary Northridge 4x4 service isn't working for me (possible 30% restocking fee) and SC doesn't want to hear about a direct return.

For those who want to pursue it here's a link to the BBB page for SC:
http://www.orlando.bbb.org/newsearch...07330029001500

Quick Reply: Superchips Flashpaq for JK, Initial Impressions