Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superchips Flashpaq for JK, Initial Impressions

Old 10-25-2009, 07:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there any place on the Superchips website hat will tell you what version of the update is available? Plugging the programmer into the computer is not a very efficient way of checking for updates.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my Flashpaq in on Friday, I did not have my computer and too excited to wait to upload the latest verision. So I plugged it in and updated my tire size and loaded the 93 octane.

Speedometer was almost dead on and will be interested to see how well it works when I change my gears later this week to 4.88 (curently stock 3.73)

As for performance (remember I was removing a Jet Stage 1 Chip). The auto was shifting smoother, much easier ride. The Jet chip did not help as much with this. In seat obersative was initally not much difference in hp/torque than the Jet. But at higher speeds (70/75) is where you see the difference. Tranny still shifts up and down but not as often as with the Jet.

Was then able to update my flashpaq and although unit was just made less than 2 weeks ago it took a long update from the website. Then to upload in the jk, arggghhh Error E-81. Check the website, websites states turner is up to date, plug into jk again, E-81 again. Call Superchips they advise a fix is in the works and they will call me back when ready. A few hours later they call back and bingo it works.

Now with the updated tuner in the jk, noticeable difference across the board. I still would only rank the performance difference between the Jet and Flashpaq as marginal, the big win is updating your tire size and eventually my gearing.

Jet Stage 1 is now up for sale. PM if interested.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

congrats tampa and thanks for the update. glad things worked out for you after some frustration.

it's always been puzzling to me why the updates are so long and tempermental. strange how they aren't able to develop something better.

i'm going to hook mine up and see what updates are available.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:32 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jay.tampa
Got my Flashpaq in on Friday, I did not have my computer and too excited to wait to upload the latest verision. So I plugged it in and updated my tire size and loaded the 93 octane.

Speedometer was almost dead on and will be interested to see how well it works when I change my gears later this week to 4.88 (curently stock 3.73)

As for performance (remember I was removing a Jet Stage 1 Chip). The auto was shifting smoother, much easier ride. The Jet chip did not help as much with this. In seat obersative was initally not much difference in hp/torque than the Jet. But at higher speeds (70/75) is where you see the difference. Tranny still shifts up and down but not as often as with the Jet.

Was then able to update my flashpaq and although unit was just made less than 2 weeks ago it took a long update from the website. Then to upload in the jk, arggghhh Error E-81. Check the website, websites states turner is up to date, plug into jk again, E-81 again. Call Superchips they advise a fix is in the works and they will call me back when ready. A few hours later they call back and bingo it works.

Now with the updated tuner in the jk, noticeable difference across the board. I still would only rank the performance difference between the Jet and Flashpaq as marginal, the big win is updating your tire size and eventually my gearing.

Jet Stage 1 is now up for sale. PM if interested.
I had a totally different experience with my Flashpaq last week. It was version 1.18.05 so when I plugged it to my machine it updated to 1.18.07 in less than 10 min.

I have the Procal so I set my JK back to factory settings first, then plugged the in the Flashpaq. It took about 5 minutes to load my default settings into the Flashpaq and then about 10 minutes to go through the setup, load and verification processes.

I am very pleased with the operation of the Flashpaq and the results it produced on my JK such as:

- Greatly improved throttle response
- Crisp almost unnoticeable shifting
- *Feels* like increased torque
- Improved gas mileage (1.5 -1.8 MPG consistent)

I can now pass vehicles on the freeway while cruising at 65 MPH on the left without "slingshotting" around them.

It just flat out makes the JK more driveable and worth every penny.

This just gets the 3.8L out of the anemic state, but it doesn't put it in the powerbuilder category. You can put lipstick on a pig, but ....
Old 10-29-2009, 09:52 AM
JK Newbie

Couple impressions I've had so far...

I installed the latest 87 tune at the same time as axle shafts/gears/wheels/tires/etc. I noticed an extremely touchy gas peddle response below 2k RPM, to the point where it was difficult to not jerk the vehicle in 1st or 2nd gear while trying to maintain neutral throttle. At the time, about a month ago, I attributed this to the combination effect of the mods.

This morning, in preparation for a smog inspection, I flashed back to stock. Throttle response was significantly smoother under 2k RPM, and neutral throttle was no longer a problem in 1st or 2nd gear. For me, not planning on running the higher octane tunes for more power, I'll be running in stock mode from now on. Having smooth throttle response in low RPMs is more important to me.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:21 AM
JK Junkie

Wow that's one of the things I love about the Flashpaq.. It gets rid of that awful lag time when I step on the gas...
Old 10-29-2009, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by whpony96
Wow that's one of the things I love about the Flashpaq.. It gets rid of that awful lag time when I step on the gas...
It's definitely put the delay back. I spend so much time in 1st and 2nd, that it's worth it for me though.

On a side note... anyone know for sure whether having just the tire and gear settings installed will cause an issue with the CA "Functional Test"?

TIA
Old 10-29-2009, 12:03 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by OSI4
It's definitely put the delay back. I spend so much time in 1st and 2nd, that it's worth it for me though.

On a side note... anyone know for sure whether having just the tire and gear settings installed will cause an issue with the CA "Functional Test"?

TIA
I know someone who has passed the test a couple of months ago with the gear setting only, since he has stock tire size. The tire setting should only affect the odometer.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:49 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by spinlock
I know someone who has passed the test a couple of months ago with the gear setting only, since he has stock tire size. The tire setting should only affect the odometer.
Thanks for the info!
Old 10-31-2009, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Just got mine

I got mine from Northridge as well. Installed last week and immediately tried the 87 octane tune. I noticed a little more pep off the line, and am now also noticing a little more fuel efficiency. So far only going by the dashboard numbers. I really need to do the actual math on a couple tanks.

Two days ago I let my tank get pretty empty and filled up with 91 to try that tune. Seems to have even more off the line, but it looks like I lost a little of the mileage improvements. Hard to tell if that is because of the change or because I was hitting the pedal a little harder to see what I would get.

After a couple tanks of 91, I want to try to find a station with 93 to try that tune as well. I have stock tires on a 09 Rub.

Quick Reply: Superchips Flashpaq for JK, Initial Impressions