Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Superlift or ft track bar

Old 08-24-2007, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superlift or ft track bar

Which one is better?
Old 08-24-2007, 08:33 AM
JK Super Freak

ft has more bracing but isnt greasable

superlift is greasable but doesnt have bracing

this is on the frame mount side
Old 08-24-2007, 08:35 AM
JK Freak

what about costs?
Old 08-24-2007, 08:39 AM
JK Super Freak

I will probably get slammed on here for bringing this up, but it's my experience:

I have the FT adjustable track bars front and rear. They use a hard plastic bushing material and they are not (easily) greasable. I have had them installed for about 10k miles, and I have had to re-grease them three times, which means dropping the bar and slathering the bushing with white lithium grease and re-attaching it.

After about 3k miles, they will start to make a kind of snapping noise, and you will need to grease them again.

I'm certainly not an expert, but I don't understand the design rationale behind using the hard bushing material which seems to be the cause of the snapping noise which necessitates the relatively frequent re-greasing.

I don't have any experience with the superlift bars, but IMO it is worth investigating whether they use the same upper bushing material and design.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mmccurdy
I will probably get slammed on here for bringing this up, but it's my experience:

I have the FT adjustable track bars front and rear. They use a hard plastic bushing material and they are not (easily) greasable. I have had them installed for about 10k miles, and I have had to re-grease them three times, which means dropping the bar and slathering the bushing with white lithium grease and re-attaching it.

After about 3k miles, they will start to make a kind of snapping noise, and you will need to grease them again.

I'm certainly not an expert, but I don't understand the design rationale behind using the hard bushing material which seems to be the cause of the snapping noise which necessitates the relatively frequent re-greasing.

I don't have any experience with the superlift bars, but IMO it is worth investigating whether they use the same upper bushing material and design.
Have you considered adding a zerk fitting?
Old 08-24-2007, 08:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by greggradwohl
Have you considered adding a zerk fitting?
Yep, I've seen the thread on here about it, and I'm definitely considering it. However, I'm not sure it will help, because most of the friction appears to be between the outside surfaces of the hard plastic bushing and the frame mount. Zerks would seem to work best when the friction is within the bushing itself between the plastic and the metal spacer tube thing, for example. It doesn't seem like a zerk would give good grease coverage to the outside surface, so I'm kind of waiting to see what happens with the folks who've done the mod.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mmccurdy
Yep, I've seen the thread on here about it, and I'm definitely considering it. However, I'm not sure it will help, because most of the friction appears to be between the outside surfaces of the hard plastic bushing and the frame mount. Zerks would seem to work best when the friction is within the bushing itself between the plastic and the metal spacer tube thing, for example. It doesn't seem like a zerk would give good grease coverage to the outside surface, so I'm kind of waiting to see what happens with the folks who've done the mod.
Good point. It would be good to know if adding a zerk does anything useful.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:12 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We have the FT track bars with almost 10,000 miles on them....and have only greased them once when installing them. They have been quiet since day 1. I don't know if the type of grease you use makes a difference or not, but we used white lithium grease, which is resistant to water and doesn't wash out very easily.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you buy the Superlift you will need a minimum of a 3" lift or it won't work. The bar is longer than stock. I have a 3" lift on my Rubicon and had to wind the Heim Joint in as far as it would go to get the correct axle centering.

The bar is nice and as stated before in this thread - has a zerk on the frame side.
It also comes with new bolts, washers, and nuts.

The only thing I could see happening over time is the heim wearing out, but that would be the case with the FT too.

~
Old 08-24-2007, 09:53 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the FT trackbar on my TJ and it has the same bushings and i dont have any issues.

I agree though a zerk fitting would be nice on that bar.

David

Quick Reply: Superlift or ft track bar