Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superlift Steering Stabilizer - issue

Old 11-11-2007, 06:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superlift Steering Stabilizer - issue

So I got my new Superlift SS last week, decided to install it yesterday... figured it'd take about an hour and a half... WRONG... took about 4.5 hours. The problem I ran into was after I installed it per the directions, everything worked fine... then I brought out my ramps so I could drive up on them and flex out the Jeep and full lock each way while disconnected. The stabilize shock bracket that Superlift sends with it (the one that goes on the tie rod) didn't position the stabilizer in a manor where I could turn full lock w/out something hitting somewhere... usually my track bar. I positioned that damn thing every which way and couldn't find the sweet spot. At full lock, flexed out, it hit.

So for those that have gone this route, my question to you is, have you flexed out your Jeep since putting it on? Cuz, it's gonna rub! Normal driving, not a problem... full lock flexed out... not good! So I came up w/my own solution, I put the factory tie rod bracket back on and ponited it straight up... it was the only position the stabilier can reside and not be an issue at full flex w/full lock. I've tested it and it comes real close, in fact I also trimmed a little off the bracket to ensure it wouldn't hit the diff cover.

I'd like to hear from others that installed this stabilizer to find out if you've encountered any similarities. Also, just to note... I did not buy the larger stabilizer because I had any existing issues... so I'm trying to bandaid fix anything. I bought it because in my experience, Jeep (or any manufacturer for that matter) NEVER over designs anything... so by going to larger tires, it just seemed like a natural thing to do. I did compare the two side by side (factory and the Superlift SS) and the Superlift does have a bit more resistance... So those little road abnormalities shouldn't affect the Jeep quite as much as before.

Here's the end result... sorry for the long post:

Old 11-11-2007, 08:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Did you have it mounted like this? I don't think I've had any rubbing problems with mine, I guess I need to check it and see.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RedRockJK
Did you have it mounted like this? .
Not exactly... Mine was flipped (and still is) the other way around. I've attached the install directions below... It also looks like your track bar bends up right before getting to the diff. Mine is a bit different right there. And is actually about where I ended up having problems... it is when I went full lock to the left (driver's side)... with your track bar going up, it looks like you would have more room.

My SS would rub a little but it was more so the bolt on the driver's side that would catch the track bar...

Last edited by Rubidonn; 11-12-2007 at 06:20 AM.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rubidonn
Not exactly... Mine was flipped (and still is) the other way around....
That's not a pic of my Jeep, but it just shows the correct orientation of the bracket and shock, which looks to be right according to the install directions. If yours if flipped (the bracket with the u-bolts) then it's backwards.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I agree, your bracket is not installed correctly. Your bracket is turned 90 degrees the wrong direction. The curved end of the"U" section should be facing the front, and the nuts on the end of the "U" bolts shoudl be towards the rear of the vehicle. And the shock stud that holds the shock on that bracket is backwards the way you have it. It should mounted on the other side. I have that same SS and I have no problems with mine rubbing at all.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 0verride
I agree, your bracket is not installed correctly. Your bracket is turned 90 degrees the wrong direction. The curved end of the"U" section should be facing the front, and the nuts on the end of the "U" bolts shoudl be towards the rear of the vehicle. And the shock stud that holds the shock on that bracket is backwards the way you have it. It should mounted on the other side. I have that same SS and I have no problems with mine rubbing at all.
I think he did originally, and put his stock bracket back on rotated 90 degrees as a solution. At least that's what I gathered from his post.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:34 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RedRockJK
That's not a pic of my Jeep...
Who's is it??? Pretty...
Old 11-12-2007, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Heres mine installed. FYI you shouldnt be using that stock SS bracket. Which by that picture looks like. Heres the stock bracket.

Rofl, I just went back, and read the FULL post. I see what your saying now. Ill have to check mine at full lock this weekend. I used a fork lift to flex mine out after install on lift but didnt do it flexed out at full lock.

After more looking at yours, im wondering if its more a "conflict" of parts. Correct me if im wrong, thats a full traction trackbar, which has less of a curve (or at least the curve starts later) and is a bit beefier than the superlift adjustable trackbar. Now I may be wrong, but im thinking that with that tracbar being a bit larger diameter in conjunction with the curve starting later towards the differential cover, could cause a rub. But the question is, do you have pics of it fully flexed out at full lock, so we can see exactly where the problem lies? I hte for you to put it back on, but I guess it would make more sense to fully see where the problem is.

Last edited by 0verride; 11-12-2007 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Renegade
I think he did originally, and put his stock bracket back on rotated 90 degrees as a solution. At least that's what I gathered from his post.
You nailed it... I tried the way the instructions said (see instructions above) but there was no position I could put it such that it wouldn't hit. BTW, the photo that Redrock posted has the SS backwards compared to the directions I posted abov.

Override, I'm fully aware I should not be using the stock bracket, that's kinda the point here.

Redrock's photo above has a different trackbar than the FT I have and I think that would help. The rubbing I had was where the bolt that holds the shock on (driver's side) would hit the track bar.

Last edited by Rubidonn; 11-12-2007 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:18 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Rubidonn
...The rubbing I had was where the bolt that holds the shock on (driver's side) would hit the track bar.
I like your use of the stock bracket better anyway. There's less chance of catching a rock on the bracket and causing it to twist on the tie rod. I have done thas several times already with mine resulting in dented stabilizers. I plan on upgrading to the superlift ss when I have the cash and will most likely run it the way you have done from the start.

Quick Reply: Superlift Steering Stabilizer - issue