Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension issues. needing some advice

Old 10-22-2010, 11:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suspension issues. needing some advice

My current setup. I have installed Rubicon Shocks and springs from a 4dr rubi on a 2 door Sahara. I am running TF leveling kit and a 1 inch body kit. Stuffed 35 inch tires in here (only problem with tires is they contact driver side fender)

Ok there is the setup and here is the issue. I constantly get a pull to the passenger side. When i hit a bump the front and rear will bounce around everywhere left/right. Bad enough that i ended up in the center median after a rough patch of highway pavement at 70MPH.

I talked to our local 4x4 shop they suggested a new steering stabilizer over stock. Done installed a TF Steering Stabilizer. This has fixed some of the flightiness but i realize this is just a cover or band aid for a bigger problem. I have checked all my steering components and both track bars/mounts.

The only issue i can find is the rear axle is not centered but instead of being off to the passenger its off to the driver by almost 1 inch. This says to me its not the rear track bar.

I had been told to replace front/rear with adjustable Track Bars and replace upper control arms with adjustable ones. which does not quite add up to me

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:18 AM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most likely the track bar is out of alignment on the front. I would suggest a Front Adjustable track bar, and rear bracket at minimum. This effects your handling way more than a steering stabilizer. That was basically a band aid on a gun shot wound.

Also a set of Adjustable Lower Front arms would be a good start as well, they will bring your caster back in spec so it won't try to dart every time you hit a bump.

Give me a call I can get smoking deals on track bars, and arms. Any more questions feel free to ask.

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 10-22-2010, 11:42 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Yep, adj trackbars to center the axles and a set of front adj ca's for the handling problems (at your lift height, either uppers or lowers will work)

See 'what is caster, how much do I need' in the suspension faq's (stickied to the top of this modified area...)
Old 10-22-2010, 11:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Correct me if i am wrong but a rear track bar braket would move the axle more driver?
Old 10-22-2010, 11:48 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Roeanoke
Correct me if i am wrong but a rear track bar braket would move the axle more driver?
Look at the pic in this one:
http://project-jk.com/wpg2?g2_itemId=49335

One end of the trackbar is attached to the frame, the other end to the axle. When you lift, the axle moves to the side attached to the frame, right? When you add a bracket, it moves the axle back the other way, 'centering' the axle.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Look at the pic in this one:
http://project-jk.com/wpg2?g2_itemId=49335

One end of the trackbar is attached to the frame, the other end to the axle. When you lift, the axle moves to the side attached to the frame, right? When you add a bracket, it moves the axle back the other way, 'centering' the axle.
On the rear the axle is setting opposite of al the posts/writeups its about 1 inch to the driver side. i have removed both front/rear bumpers this would suggest a shorter track bar which dosnt make sense. I not trying to argue or debate im just not understanding it
Old 10-22-2010, 12:07 PM
JK Super Freak

I did some measuring on the front and rear im approxamatly 3/4 to 1 inch off to the driver side.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:13 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Front would be off to driverside and rear should be off to passenger. Could you take some pics underneath? The only thing I can think of why it would be that way is if your rear upper trackbar bracket was bent in or the frame bent or the Control arms bent. Take a look at the upper and lower ca's in the rear.You haven't ripped the lower tracbar mount and re welded huh?

Last edited by mkjeep; 10-22-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Lower control brackets have minor rock rash but not bent
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1998359970.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	97357   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3253119039.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	97358   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3792732595.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	97359   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1314160919.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	97360  
Old 10-22-2010, 03:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Front would be off to driverside and rear should be off to passenger. Could you take some pics underneath? The only thing I can think of why it would be that way is if your rear upper trackbar bracket was bent in or the frame bent or the Control arms bent. Take a look at the upper and lower ca's in the rear.You haven't ripped the lower tracbar mount and re welded huh?
X2, the fact that youre saying the rear is off towards driver is very odd. To me, this is indicative of some much more serious damage(bent arms or frame) or a result of a super rare situation where it came from the factory that far off. If you can truly guarantee that nothing is bent, either the track bar mounts are welded at the wrong location on the axle, or your track bar is too long. Have you measured these things against any other JK?

Quick Reply: Suspension issues. needing some advice